Shifter PLate removal help 64 dart

-

djwhog

Reaction score
Ok guys, I have had this car forever. I have never changed the shifter plate for the old push button trans. I have a floor shifter and was able to get a hold of a shift delete plate for a stick.

How do I get the head light knob and wiper knob off to get to the lock rings I see on the plate? I even have a tool for the lock rings etc.

Is there a way to just removal the whole unit? I see a little ... maybe it is a hex screw on the wiper knob similar to the heater control knobs, but I do not see a way to get to it as the bezel sticks out on the lip etc.

I have the column out and the cluster already. I just need to get the part at the door edge seems something is holding it in place. I can not see how to get the door side screw that hold the shifter on either. The right side shifter screws are out. :read2:

thanks for the help on this!

Also does anyone know if you can get a new ignition switch for these old guys, wiper switch and a head light switch. Mine all work, but are a little krusty!

The ignition and headlight switches can be ordered at your local auto parts store. SOL on the wiper switch unless Year One or someone of their ilk carries it. The wiper knob is held on with a set screw that can theoretically be removed. To remove the headlight knob you have to pull it out to the on position and depress a small button on the top of the switch. Then the knob will come all the way out. Sorry I can't be anymore help than that.

this will show you where the shaft release button is on the headlight switch, it's centered just above the center of the box top. Little spring with a mushroom topped button.

Headlight%20Switch,%2064-67%20Buick,%2067%20Olds.jpg

-
Back