shifter&shift box? help

-

sparkie573

Reaction score
so what is on my car is a hurst super shifter, I am having problems with the box itself. I was having problems with 1-2 and 2-3 under load, which was fixed or at least made better with adjusting my clutch rod and adjusting the shift rods. Albeit it does seam "clunkety" going through gears. The main problem I am having is that it goes into reverse but then won't or is very hard for it to come out. I unhooked the shift rods and it is the same way. I took the box off and dissasembled it for inspection to see if something was possibly bent or broken. And it seems ok with some minor wear. I cleaned it up put it back together and reinstalled and it still does the same thing... I do have an stock hurst competition plus shift box from an e body that I may install... Or?

My couple of questions are; what is about the best, smoothest & fastest shifting box if I do just end up getting a new one? or which should I maybe rebuild?

Also with the super shifter it has the reverse lock out on it. Do I have to run a shifter with a reverse lock out to run it at a track? this is going to be mostly a street car but I do want to have the option. 408 stroker, 4 speed and 3:23 gears in it.

Any and all info would be appreciated. thanks

thought I would throw up some pics of the tranny, side cover, tailhousing, and shift box. If it halps.

Attachments

• 4 speed 1.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 238
Ugh. I cant get the rest of the pics to upload
so,

numbers on pass side of tranny C 97622.

8BI69882.

numbers on side cover c 95664 Z

numbers on pass side of tailhousing c97477-8

numbers on hurst super shifter
3216274 3323387.

The numbers on the transmission really don't matter.

Does it grind when going into reverse? I'm wondering if this isn't a clutch release problem instead of a transmission problem.

What are you using for trans lube? How much? Do you know (for sure) how to adjust the shift rods?

No, It doesn't grind when going into reverse. It isn't a clutch release problem as I did adjust that a bit. No change. It's not a transmission problem. It is a problem with the shift box itself. It was feeling pretty clunkety shifting 1-2 and 2-3 and 3-4 and I did adjust the rods and that made it better but still not like super smooth. reverse; it would go in when you push down and over being it is a super shifter but coming back out is another story. you would pull it out ofreverse and you could noticibly feel it catching on something before it would pop out/ up. definately not as smooth as that should be. you can totally disconect the rods from the shift box and it still does the same thing with reverse and has come up with a misterious place where you can pull it from reverse back it just started doing this... upon removal and inspection it didn't seem to worn and no grit. Just wondering what my best option is going to be????

I'm not sure you "know" that it's "not a transmission problem," as you talk about disconnecting the shifter and still have a problem with reverse.

Let me give you an example.

My first Mopar, a 69RR, in '70, had what turned out to be a badly worn ball bearing ---the big one on the main shaft at the front of the tail housing.

This, it turned out, became bad enough that it allowed the mainshaft to move front/ rear some, and it did not shift well. I was young and stupid then and actually caused some more damage to the gearbox before getting it fixed.

Not disconected the shifter. Disconected the shift Rods from the shift box.
It's somewhere in the shift box. I unhooked the rods from the shift box and the shift box still does the same thing. IE will not hardly pop out of reverse, and clunkety operation. I removed the shift box from the car, put in a vice and operated while watching. still the same. nothing looks bent that I see or to worn. ??? I do appreciate the help/ info.

-
Back