Shifting adjustment question:

-

crashcaptn

1965 Dodge Dart GT
Reaction score
My 904 on my 273 V8 shifts too fast off the line. I usually zip right through first gear without even feeling it and then stick around in second for a good 5 seconds before hitting third gear at about 25 mph! this is dragggiinngg meee! I know theres an adjustment that attaches to the carburator, but how do i make that adjustment? I have VERY little experience with transmissions (obviously)

There should be a couple types of adjustments on the carb, or down near what is called the 'kickdown lever' at the front of the trans. Drivers side. You should be able to see it following the linkage down on the drivers side. basically, the more that lever gets pushed back, the longer time between shifts, and also changes the 'kickdown' of gears when you step on it (atleast on later models with the part-throttle kickdown). Anyway, what you need to do takes a bit of test n tune to get it how you like it.

You need to get that lever to go back further compared to how you have it now when you give it gas. You can kinda tinker with it from there. However make sure it doesn't interfere with full throttle. At full throttle that lever should still move about 1/8" if you push it back by hand. That is so that the lever doesnt bottom out and hinder your carb from getting full throttle.

Hope it helps.
-Mike

sounds like a plan, thanks a lot mike! Is it just a screw that moves the rob back and forth or is there anything i need to know? I'm sure it'll be obvious once i get under the car.

Good job Mike. :thumbup:
Well read and said.I have seen trans burned up because of this adjustment

-
Back