Shifting isues with my v-matic 2

-

wheelman21

Mopar noob
Reaction score
I recently installed a Hurst v-matic 2 on my 727 with a manual valve body. It seemed to be working swell yesterday morning, but by the evening it's having issues. I checked the cable and nothing is loose, but it is still having issues. Here is what it's doing: A little sluggish into R. Into neutral fine (most of the time) Then when you shift to 1, nothing happens. You go to 2, and get 2, then if you shift down to 1, you stay in 2, you have to go to N to get 1st, and then Reverse and back down to N to get N. Any Idea what's going on? I know the cable did make contact with a header and the jacket did melt a little bit, but the cable wasn't damaged and the shifter is still moving fine. So is this just an adjustment issue or what?

Unhook the cable from the trans shift lever, put the lever in 1st, put the shifter in 1st, adjust the cable accordingly. When you have the cable right it should just fall in the hole, what you don't want is to have to wrestle it one way or the other to get it in there.

Turned out the guy I was working with left a bolt loose under the shifter console and it was throwing everything off. Wish I thought of that this morning haha.

-
Back