shifting problem

-

racerkilla

Reaction score
2nd gear shift problem

hey i got my 4 speed in my duster this weekend and went out for a drive and shifts fine other then 2nd. the tranny was clean in side and looks like no problems

if i go say 10 mph in first and click it in 2nd it goes in but feels like its not all the way in gear. no grinding.. it will drive in 2nd fine with no popping out or noise and shift to 3rd and 4th fine. but now if your hard on gas in first and try to go to 2nd quick it doesnt like to go in. also i can down shift from 4th to 3rd but then going to second feels like its not there feel like its trying to go in but then doesnt.

im pretty sure i have the linkage set good but do you guys think its in the tranny or should i adjust it to give a little more throw to push lever a bit further on tranny. im gonna try to adjust linkage tonight or tomm but wanted to know if any of you guys had this problem

if need to be rebuild, im gonna tear it down and go it my self. ive done t5, muncie, saginaw with out problems.

if you have a hurst shifter you could try loosening the bolts that limit how far your shifter can throw. also check that you had your shifter locked in neutral (put a drillbit in the hole) before you adjusted and hooked up the linkage. you could also adjust the linkage so that you are pushing the lever further into second than into first. also - have you checked the shift levers on the side of the tranny? i've had mine get loose a couple of times and then it doesn't want to go into gear. also mine shifts much nicer once the gear lube in the tranny is fully warmed up. that's about all i can think of, good luck.

What shifter is it? That may help us find your problem. I think Juvat hit on most items.

If it is a comp plus with the stop bolts make sure you adjust them in 3rd and 4th, not 1st and 2nd.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Never mind…… I just looked at your pics. You have an Inland shifter.

Inland shifters suck for performance use. I have one in my car and they were the stock shifter for early 68s.

The shifter will have a slot in the side, not a hole. Get some flat bar or wood and make something that fits the slot (this locks the leavers in place while you adjust the rods).

Adjust the rods and make sure they are not bent (Inland rods also suck so they may be bent).

What I did with my Inland rods was weld round stock to the rods (doubling the rod thickness and making them stronger).

With a bunch of work I have mine shifting really well for street use but if you regularly shift hard and fast you should get a new shifter (even if it turns out that the issue is the trans).

its has factory hurst shifter from a b body. yea the links are lined up. ive adjusted alot of my cars with 4 speeds and know all the levers on shifter have to be even.... i have to look at it and double check things. tranny sat for 10 years and was the first time i drove it and was only baout 2 miles and back so maybe wasnt enough time to get oil warm and stuff back to working again.

my purple 68 barracuda has an inland shifter i redid in it.. works pretty good

the car im working on with the shift problems is my 71 340 duster... i just did a auto to 4 speed swap this weekend

anyways i re adjusted the linkage for a bit more throw 2nd gear and drove easy for a bit. now it seems to shift fine no matter how hard or any rpm level. out of say 20 down shifts only ground once... i think if i adjust it a bit more will be spot on

and for inland having a bad name mine hasnt given me any problems... thats with power shifts. 1 2 3 gear line lock burn outs, 7000 rpm shifts on spray.. i would love to put a hurst in my cuda but until i have problems leave well enough alone and spend money esle wear.

Could be a synchro indeed. Try shifting without using the clutch (while driving). If you know how to do this you will notice that it will be easier to shift without using the clutch then with using the clutch. At least when the synchro is gone that is.
By shifting this way, your shifting at the right rpm for the gears to line up, so the trans doesn't need the synchro to do what it's supposed to do: synchronize the gears.

Antoon

it shifts fine now...the man problem was the shifter wasnt pushing far enough in 2nd and 4th. im using a b body shifter on a body tranny and plate. i had the 3 levers lined up with a 1/4 shaft when i put it together. But the way the hurst shifter was angled foward, it wasnt giving it enough throw. im sure more i drive it and get the oil moving around, heat and wear clutch in some will worked even better.

I have a stock 4 speed with stock shifter for my 70 Duster 340. I am having a shifting problem after it warmed up. I come to a stop light and then try to shift to 1st or 2nd and have to really work it to get it to go in gear. The trans and shifter have been rebuilt and everything seems to work okay when it is cold. It will also pop out of 2nd once in a while when I am going along fairly slow and back off. I have a feeling it just needs to be adjusted. Any thoughts. I have not adjusted the shifting rods before. Not sure of procedure. I have an original shop manual, so I can reference that.

-
Back