shifting trouble

-

Suicidesteve

Reaction score
Hi,

my name is Steve, i use to drive a 71 318 4-Speed Duster in Germany since a few weeks and ive got some trouble in shifting. When shifting up i have to wait RPM fall to about 1000 to get the gears shifted without "cracking"

shifting down is not possible without any sounds. When standing shifting is no problem. I already modified the Z-Bar al little to get more movement and it seems like it helped al little...but only a little. Maybe some of you have an Idea what i could try or what could be the rason, i hope the Transmission is ok and its only about the clutch...

Thanks for your help!

Even if the clutch didn't release at all, you would be able to shift by synchronizing the speed of the gears.

When I had my four speed 421 2+2 "back in the day" I somehow managed to shove the throwout bearing though the bellevue spring of the diaphragm pressure plate. I drove that car every day for three weeks, back and forth to work, on dates, everywhere, before I could get enough saved to buy a new clutch.

Put it in first and crank the motor. The 421 would light off about the third rev and you're off. Back off the throttle slowly to find the "float" spot and allow you to pull it out of gear. Let the revs drop slowly with a little "light pressure" on the shifter toward the next gear, and it would magically find the gate, allowing you to pull it in gear. Down shifting was the same in reverse, only you increased the revs slowly. After I gained experience, I would "wing it" to down shift, and catch the "float" spot as the revs dropped.

That said, if you've never done it, it's a good way to grenade a box. Immediately, right now, no second chances. But when you're young and dumb......

Anecdotes aside, modifying a torque shaft (Z bar) to get a stock clutch to release sounds like putting the cart before the horse. If nothing is broken in the clutch linkage, it should have enough adjustment to give you the required plate departure. If you can't get the clutch to release enough to allow "clean shifts", I suspect the pressure plate has "gone south", and it is time to get a new clutch before you ruin the box.

Even if the clutch didn't release at all, you would be able to shift by synchronizing the speed of the gears.

When I had my four speed 421 2+2 "back in the day" I somehow managed to shove the throwout bearing though the bellevue spring of the diaphragm pressure plate. I drove that car every day for three weeks, back and forth to work, on dates, everywhere, before I could get enough saved to buy a new clutch.

Put it in first and crank the motor. The 421 would light off about the third rev and you're off. Back off the throttle slowly to find the "float" spot and allow you to pull it out of gear. Let the revs drop slowly with a little "light pressure" on the shifter toward the next gear, and it would magically find the gate, allowing you to pull it in gear. Down shifting was the same in reverse, only you increased the revs slowly. After I gained experience, I would "wing it" to down shift, and catch the "float" spot as the revs dropped.

That said, if you've never done it, it's a good way to grenade a box. Immediately, right now, no second chances. But when you're young and dumb......

Anecdotes aside, modifying a torque rod (Z bar) to get a stock clutch to release sounds like putting the cart before the horse. If nothing is broken in the clutch linkage, it should have enough adjustment to give you the required plate departure. If you can't get the clutch to release enough to allow "clean shifts", I suspect the pressure plate has "gone south", and it is time to get a new clutch before you ruin the box.

hehe, i am young and stupid for sure but ill better go for a new clutch first :-D

-
Back