Shipping to Canada

-

MoparLvr

Reaction score
I found out something you folks might find interesting if your parts are coming from the states. I received a set of wheels from Stockton shipped by UPS. The shipping cost was some outrageous price. The delivery guy was a car dude and we got to talking. The best way to save a heap on shipping is to refuse the shipment. The delivery guy will then take the order back. You then go down to the shipping office yourself, get the parcel, and proceed through customs. UPS charges an enormous brokerage fee which you will bypass if you do it yourself. Saved about $160 (almost the price of one wheel). UPS apparently is the worst for fees but they all charge them. FYI

Over on the other Mppar site I belong to (don't know if I'm allowed to plug sites or not...) some people were saying that if the American side sends it as a "Gift" the Canadian recipient will not be charged the PST and GST on it. Also something about from US to Canada ALWAYS go U.S.P.S., not UPS or FedEx. USPS doesn't have all those extra charges.

Ack, no. This kind of false declaration to try and save the recipient money often backfires. The Customs agents see all the "clever" tricks all day, every day. "Gifts" that are obviously not gifts, expensive stuff declared at "$9.99" (sort of like "Two beers, officer"; it's the lie everyone always tells). There's nothing Canada Customs can do to the sender 'cause he's in a foreign country, but they can and do levy charges on the package for the recipient. Not every package, not every time, but often enough to make this kind of effort a gamble not worth making. I bought an antique radio on eBay; the seller marked it "gift" and "$9.99". Customs opened the box, saw this beautiful antique radio, and withheld the package pending valuation. They contacted me and had me send in proof of its value before they would release it. I sent a printout of the auction page showing the final price as $62 and then they released the package.

The best practice I've found is to have the seller/sender (whether that's you in the states or you're talking to him/her in the States from Canada) declare the item at its lowest plausible, real value. For example, if the seller bought a fuel pump for $12 and sold it to me for $27.95, then what is the value of the pump? It's both of those figures, and if the seller declares it at $12 then that's still a valid value for the contents. Of course, if the seller declares it at $12 and encloses a receipt for my $27.95, that's, um, not as good. Also be careful with insurance. If you declare a package at, say, $40, then either you will not be allowed to insure it above that level, or you will be allowed but doing so will create a giant red flag pointing to attempted false declaration, or in the event an insurance claim is filed the max payout you'll get is $40, not the higher figure you insured it for.

The main thing is never to use UPS to ship from the States to Canada. They have a real racket going on with their bogus (grossly inflated) "brokerage fees", and there are class-action lawsuits against UPS in at least two provinces for that reason. Canada Post charges $5 for brokerage of parcels sent by regular mail, $8 for brokerage of parcels sent by express mail. And often they don't even charge that. UPS, on the other hand…well, in 2004 or so I bought an old car magazine on eBay. Bid end price was $3.25 or something like that. The seller put it in a UPS envelope instead of mailing it, for some reason; UPS held that magazine hostage for $40 in "brokerage fees". :roll:

FedEx brokerage charges are higher than postal, but much lower than UPS.

Dan hit the nail on the head! UPS+US to Canada shipping=NOOOOOO! NEVER EVER agree to have it shipped UPS. YOU WILL PAY!!!

You're probably right about USPS however in my initial post I was merely explaining that you can bypass the brokerage fee altogether by brokering it yourself. USPS as well as most other federal postal services such as Canada post, China post Etc are notoriously slow compared to other modes of shipping. But hey it's your choice.

Works the other way too. I bought something from a member here who lives in Canada. $300 for the item, $40 something (IIRC) to ship, & then UPS shows up at my door asking for (demanding) about $28 in brokerage fees before I could have my package. A ripoff.

Any FABO guys in Windsor or Detroit. You could make some coin running back and forth across the border. :-D Could be a full time job! :cheers:

Wylde1.

I found regular mail to be the best way to go, unfortunately they have smaller package/weight limit then UPS...

I just got a set of scoops shipped to me from the US, via USPS.
It did not cost me a penny in taxes and no brokerage fee.
But keep in mind these were not shipped under any business names.

And I amazingly surprised on how fast it was.

Giles

I have a shipping service that I use in US near the boarder to bring parts across both ways when selling or buying.Nice thing is I have recreation property so stay my 48 when bringing stuff back and get $400.00 duty free for each of us.

The other thing to look at is if the parts are not available here in Canada and the car is more that 25 years old there is no duty on it. This is part of free trade though UPS and Fedex will still charge you all the fees, and it sucks trying to get your money back from them as well. The US postal service works great.

-
Back