Shipping weight estimate.

-
Need to figure the approximate weight on a complete 340 with manifolds, pullies, etc, and a 727 with the convertor. Needing to figure a price on shipping these to CA.
This 727
[FOR SALE] - SB 727 Transmission 1974
This 340 in post 40
[FOR SALE] - 1972 340 4 speed Duster parts
Well, if it helps, I shipped a Big block 727 from WI to IN last summer. with converter and it was a pushbutton with cables and the second pump so a tad bit heavier than yours and it came in at 155 pounds. Without all that, you're probably looking at 115-125 for the trans, probably 20 in the converter.

340 block, for the entire thing assembled, you're looking about 550 lbs.

Either of these items, Fastenal is likely to be cheapest. Note, I didn't say cheap, but cheapest IF you crate it. To ship that trans, it cost me a little over 120 bucks, UPS and fedex were twice that. For that engine, you're likely looking at 4-6 hundred in shipping, maybe more thru fastenal.

keep in mind, IF you ship Fastenal, you'll need to crate it and ensure it 100 percent clear of fluids, any leaking and they smack you with a 150-300 dollar hazmat spill fee.

Thanks for that info.Will they ship it on a pallet or doe it have to be completely boxed?
they'll ship it on a pallet, they prefer it on a pallet. I'll take you a pic off the trans and how it was shipped to me. Guy basically built a wooden cage around it on a pallet. Fastenal actually complimented him on the job.

Last edited:
they'll ship it on a pallet, they prefer it on a pallet. I'll take you a pic off the trans and now it was shipped to me. Guy basically built a wooden cage around it on a pallet. Fastenal actually complimented him on the job.
Thanks for all your help. That would be great.

If you’re anywhere near a Forward Air terminal, that might be your best bet in shipping that motor or transmission. A member on another Mopar forum shipped to me a 340 short block from LA to here in VA for $195. And I bought another complete 340 from a member on another forum shipped from IL to here in VA for $200. My son shipped a complete Honda 4 cylinder with trans from here in VA to Little Rock AR for less than $200. All this said, the shipper must deliver the motor (or whatever) secured to a pallet to the Forward Air terminal and the recipient must pick it up at the receiving Firward Air terminal. The shipper must prepay for the shipment after it is weighed. Might be less expensive than Fastenal.

If you’re anywhere near a Forward Air terminal, that might be your best bet in shipping that motor or transmission. A member on another Mopar forum shipped to me a 340 short block from LA to here in VA for $195. And I bought another complete 340 from a member on another forum shipped from IL to here in VA for $200. My son shipped a complete Honda 4 cylinder with trans from here in VA to Little Rock AR for less than $200. All this said, the shipper must deliver the motor (or whatever) secured to a pallet to the Forward Air terminal and the recipient must pick it up at the receiving Firward Air terminal. The shipper must prepay for the shipment after it is weighed. Might be less expensive than Fastenal.
Thanks I'll check it out.

Well, if it helps, I shipped a Big block 727 from WI to IN last summer. with converter and it was a pushbutton with cables and the second pump so a tad bit heavier than yours and it came in at 155 pounds. Without all that, you're probably looking at 115-125 for the trans, probably 20 in the converter.

340 block, for the entire thing assembled, you're looking about 550 lbs.

Either of these items, Fastenal is likely to be cheapest. Note, I didn't say cheap, but cheapest IF you crate it. To ship that trans, it cost me a little over 120 bucks, UPS and fedex were twice that. For that engine, you're likely looking at 4-6 hundred in shipping, maybe more thru fastenal.
Well I contacted Fasnenal. They just sent me a email. They don't ship in to Ca.?

This is the email I got.
Thank you for considering Fastenal for your shipment. Unfortunately, due to capacity restrictions; we will not be able to complete your quote request for this shipment. Blue Lane Freight does not ship into California. We hope you will consider using Fastenal 3PL for your future shipping needs.

This is the email I got.
Thank you for considering Fastenal for your shipment. Unfortunately, due to capacity restrictions; we will not be able to complete your quote request for this shipment. Blue Lane Freight does not ship into California. We hope you will consider using Fastenal 3PL for your future shipping needs.
Hmm interesting

Well FYI , I took the pallet with the complete 340 and a727 with convertor to YRC freight. I used a HD pallet that was 42" x 45" with some added cribbing to support the engine and trans. Used 4 ratchet straps to tie it all down. Well the total weight was 820Lbs! A lot more than I thought.

Roy, go to a tranny shop and ask for a tranny crate/container. They are HD plastic look kinda like a trunk. Core used to be $75.00 but lately their glad to sell them for next to nothing or Maybe give u 1. Kim

Last edited:
-
Back