Shock Help

-

rod7515

Reaction score
I need to buy shocks for the 66 Dart. I will be doing some drag racing with this car, probably 2 - 3 times a year. I will be driving on the street approximately 1500 miles per year, including at least 2 trips that will be 200 miles each way. I am looking at some racing shocks that are adjustable from summit. They can be set at 90-10, 80-20 or 60-40. There is a side note warning about the shocks that says a 90-10 shock should not be used for street use. So my question is what exactly does the 90-10, 80-20, 60-40 mean and can I buy these and run 60-40 on the street and when racing change to the 90-10. How will the settings compare to a standard Bilstein or KYB shock. I dont mind a very firm feel but dont want to get beat to death either, especially on the front suspension. Looking forward to getting explanations on this.
Thanks
Rodney

Howdy Rodney. :D

Those numbers reflect the valving on the shocks as far as extension and compression. A 50/50 number will indicate equal control in both directions. Now to use the 90/10 example, the 90 means it will easily extend & the 10 means it will be harder to compress. Using a drag launch scenario, the front end would easily lift (extend) and be slower to settle down to the stock position. I hope this makes sense...lol.

I used to run some "Gabriel" shocks years ago that look to have been a similar inexpensive shock like the Summit units. They were 90/10 80/20 & 70/30 rated. I'll admit, they weren't the best from a racing standpoint, but I used them for applications similar to yours set at 70/30 and that was a pretty good setting for overall street use.

I think that the 60/40 street setting that you are thinking would be fine. How well they would work in the 90/10 setting at the track would just take some experimenting.

-
Back