shooting primer

-

rm69dart

Reaction score
hey everybody need help keep on shooting primer and keep getting fish eyes. clean surface with kiwk clean from paint store samething. i got a water filter on gun, still does the same. using vaspar primer. any ideas. thanks.

Are you wiping off the kwik clean? If you let it evaporate the junk is still on the panel.
Fish eyes or solvent pop??? They can look the same...Do they appear right away or as it dries??If you are using a 2k primer wait 10 min between coats if doing smaller areas, whole car just keep going.. Drain the compressor.

Bob

Usually the surface is contaminated by water or oils. With the kwik clean, wipe with one rag and immediately wipe dry with the other. Don't let it evaporate on the surface. Thats all I can think of.

Are you wiping off the kwik clean? If you let it evaporate the junk is still on the panel.
Fish eyes or solvent pop??? They can look the same...Do they appear right away or as it dries??If you are using a 2k primer wait 10 min between coats if doing smaller areas, whole car just keep going.. Drain the compressor.

Bob

no i didnt wipe the kwik clean, what do i use to wipe car down, they appear as i am spraying.

Usually the surface is contaminated by water or oils. With the kwik clean, wipe with one rag and immediately wipe dry with the other. Don't let it evaporate on the surface. Thats all I can think of.

did hole car like that, this sucks i have done lots of work on this car and i want to put it on the road, this is my third attemp to spray.

What valspar primer are you using? (I spray Valspar DTM all the time and have never had any issues with it)
are you mixing it correctly (correct activator and reducer)? are you waiting for the primer to "flash off" before you spray another coat?

when you clean the surface prior to spraying use two rags, one wet one dry, wipe the surface with the wet one then wipe it dry with the other. don't try to wipe the whole car down at once, do a fender then a door etc..

You might have better luck with a different brand of wax and grease remover.

If you still have problems it could be something airborne. Prefilters (where ever air is entering your spray area) are a important to keep your spray area clean of airborne contaminents.

I always put the prep solvent in one of these, spray on, then wipe off with dry wipe-all, changing wipe-alls frequently.

base_media

sounds like solvent pop....then again I am no paint expert.

make sure your primer to thinner ratio is correct....I think most primer is 1to1 (50/50) I always mix a tad heavier on the primer side though.

If you covered everything and still cant figure it out...you may want to try some fish eye remover.

pictures would help though and someone could give you a better idea as if its solvent pop or fish eyes from surface contamination.

I would guess surface contamination....some of these wax's nowadays are badass and are real hard to clean...try this...clean a good size spot with lacquer thinner, spray it again, if it works then thats the problem. you might have to clean the entire car....

Silicone is a bad contaminant as well as any wax etc. When I worked in bodyshops,wiping it down came first. I always thought of it this way.

If there is any crap on the car and you dont remove it first,it gets on your grinding wheels dics sandpaper tools etc etc.

Maybe you just need a faster solvent? Or more flash time between coats.

Work small areas, wet surface well to allow contaminants to float to the top then wipe dry with clean dry rag, change rags often. Wipe on wipe off, if you dont wipe off your just spreading it around. And NEVER use fish eye eliminator in primer or basecoats it will cause adhesion problems with topcoats. Hope this helps

-
Back