Short story/Flashback...

-

OldmanRick

Reaction score
It's 8:30 on a Friday evening in June, about 80 degrees, and the sun is getting low...

7 cars are in a broken pattern across 3 lanes of concrete at a steady
45mph heading the 8 miles to the first hangout/stop of the night.

Windows down...no a/c among this bunch, a
70' Duster 340
69' Chevelle 396
70' Cuda 340
71' Cutlass 396 Chev/BB
69' Swinger 340
67' Camaro 427
70' Mach I 351C,
just hi compression American iron out on a mission.

I'm in the middle of this group, Bad Company in the 8 track with
"Movin On" cranking thru the rear deck mounted Mind Blower speakers.

This experience, while some of the players were different at times, took
place on a regular basis thru the mid/late 70's. My hair blowing in the
wind (when I had some :)), the tunes, the sound of all that muscle, the
slight gyrations of the cars over the road, and seeing the Cragar, Torque
Thrust, Centerline, and Mag 500 wheels at speed was just mesmerizing.

I still get goose bumps thinking about it.....Man, to be in my teens again.

Thanks for looking at my story guys! :thumbrig:

I used to have flashbacks, but man I'm glad they finally stopped. Lol

Cool story though.. Used to cruise Seaside Heights, NJ as a kid, fun times.

I used to have flashbacks, but man I'm glad they finally stopped. Lol

Cool story though.. Used to cruise Seaside Heights, NJ as a kid, fun times.

keep your motor runnin, head out on the hiway, lookin for adventure-in wahtever comes my way, born to be wiiild. 1968 barracuda form S 383-------------nuff said !:burnout:

Thanks for sharing!!! I had many of the same type of "flashbacks, but unlike you, was unable to contain it to a single post...LOL!!! (turned into a freakin' book by the time I was finished)
But, really like the wolfpack you're cruisin' with in your flashback. Dare we ask....which one were you?

Thanks for sharing!!! I had many of the same type of "flashbacks, but unlike you, was unable to contain it to a single post...LOL!!! (turned into a freakin' book by the time I was finished)
But, really like the wolfpack you're cruisin' with in your flashback. Dare we ask....which one were you?

Sadly I was the SS396 Chevelle in 75'/76' :banghead:. Fortunately I was the 3rd fastest just behind the 67' Camaro, 11's & the 70' 340 Cuda, 12.70's. 12sec. cars were pretty few and far between roaming the streets on a daily basis back then...contrary to what most thought. Mine hit the 12.80's on a good day, and I was perfectly happy with that. :) The fast Mopars in my "hood" belonged to some of my close friends, although I did do much of the work on them and drive them on occasion. My personal Mopars ended up being just drivers or projects that were sold because of responsibilities at the time.

It's 8:30 on a Friday evening in June, about 80 degrees, and the sun is getting low...

7 cars are in a broken pattern across 3 lanes of concrete at a steady
45mph heading the 8 miles to the first hangout/stop of the night.

Windows down...no a/c among this bunch, a
70' Duster 340
69' Chevelle 396
70' Cuda 340
71' Cutlass 396 Chev/BB
69' Swinger 340
67' Camaro 427
70' Mach I 351C,
just hi compression American iron out on a mission.

I'm in the middle of this group, Bad Company in the 8 track with
"Movin On" cranking thru the rear deck mounted Mind Blower speakers.

This experience, while some of the players were different at times, took
place on a regular basis thru the mid/late 70's. My hair blowing in the
wind (when I had some :)), the tunes, the sound of all that muscle, the
slight gyrations of the cars over the road, and seeing the Cragar, Torque
Thrust, Centerline, and Mag 500 wheels at speed was just mesmerizing.

I still get goose bumps thinking about it.....Man, to be in my teens again.

Thanks for looking at my story guys! :thumbrig:

Thanks for writing it! It's stories like this,that make me stay in love with Detroit muscle cars. Can't touch the passion and history of a Detroit vintage supercar.

Sadly I was the SS396 Chevelle in 75'/76' :banghead:. Fortunately I was the 3rd fastest just behind the 67' Camaro, 11's & the 70' 340 Cuda, 12.70's. 12sec. cars were pretty few and far between roaming the streets on a daily basis back then...contrary to what most thought. Mine hit the 12.80's on a good day, and I was perfectly happy with that. :) The fast Mopars in my "hood" belonged to some of my close friends, although I did do much of the work on them and drive them on occasion. My personal Mopars ended up being just drivers or projects that were sold because of responsibilities at the time.
No shame, Rick. My buddy Dave had an SS 396 Chevelle that would knock the socks off a lot of cars in my hometown (it's in the book). Please...more details of those youthful years and dreams gone by. You got it in you....I can tell.

It's posts like this that convince me I was born in the wrong decade. When I was in my teens cruising around, (I got my license in early 1992) cars were just boxes with wheels. They didn't have nearly the history and class that they did in the 60s and 70s. Thanks for sharing!

It's posts like this that convince me I was born in the wrong decade. When I was in my teens cruising around, (I got my license in early 1992) cars were just boxes with wheels. They didn't have nearly the history and class that they did in the 60s and 70s. Thanks for sharing!

At least your a little closer. ....I was born in the wrong decade and the wrong place. ..... only correcting that now.

Makes me sick to think of the cars I could have been scoring in the mid eighties when I was born. LoL

I wasn't even a stem cell yet when the op was having fun :???:

Cool story Rick. Got my license in 80 and I fondly remember similar times. Back then I didn't have much money so I ran whatever I got a good deal on. For quite a while it was a very solid 70 Chevelle that I bought for $150... Just a mild 350 so it wasn't all that fast but it was ok. When I was 19 I bought a 54,000 mile 72 340 Cuda. Man was I on top of the world, lol.... That ended 28 days later when it was pouring down rain so hard you could barely see 50 ft and I got creamed at an uncontrolled intersection and I only had liability on the Cuda, UGH! Learned a hard lesson there.

Nothing wrong with a Chevelle.

Our pack was a

72 340 Demon
71 Comet 302
71 Mach 1 351
71 Chevelle Malibu
70 Cyclone Spoiler

I was in the Comet and I loved that car- but when I first laid eyes on that B5 Blue Demon...wow. The Cyclone was way cool also....I haven't seen one in decades.

Nothing wrong with a Chevelle.

Our pack was a

72 340 Demon
71 Comet 302
71 Mach 1 351
71 Chevelle Malibu
70 Cyclone Spoiler

I was in the Comet and I loved that car- but when I first laid eyes on that B5 Blue Demon...wow. The Cyclone was way cool also....I haven't seen one in decades.

Our group:
67 Camaro 350/4 SPD.
69 Cougar 351w.
65 Impala SS,heated 350
66 Caprice,heated up 396.
70 Mustang Sprtsroof,351C-4V/Toploader.
71 Mach1,351C-4v
72 Gran Torino Sport,429-4v.
Fun group of guys,& fun cars.

-
Back