short

-

BigRichieO

Colorado Mopar
Reaction score
I'm thinking I have a short some where in system or maybe a bad alternator, but I'm not sure.

My car is in the process of getting a new paint job and cleaned up to be street respectable. I've been trying to start the car at least one or twice a week to keep the battery charged, and it just doesn't seem to be doing the job. I started it tonight after having it on the charger for a few hours, I let it run for about 20 minutes and shut it down. After about two minutes of sitting I tried to restart the car and I got just a few cranks and then there was nothing left of the battery and it wouldn't crank fast enough to start. What do you folks think, a short, alternator, or something else? I guess I should at least disconnect the battery until I figure out what the problem is.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Rich

put a volt meter on the battery and watch it while you crank. if it drops more than 2 volts, battery no good.

while its running, check voltage at alternator and battery. above 13 volts is charging.

with the negative cable off, put a test light clip on the bat cable and touch the pointer of the test light to the terminal on the battery. if it lights up(make sure all lights are off, doors shut), you have a draw.

Sure sounds like a junk battery to me. There's nothing in the system that draws enough to run the battery back down that fast.

Most auto parts stores will test the battery for free.

-
Back