Shorten Driveshaft, 7.25 to 8.75 swap

-

Hyper_pak

Old School Chrysler Fan
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what is the distance I need to shorten my driveshaft for this rear end swap? I saw the driveshaft chart and it looks like it right around 2 inches. Any info is appreciated.

It’s best to remeasure for the new driveshaft when you install the rearend.

My drive shaft shop charged me like 60 bucks more to just build me a new shaft VS shorten my old one.
Much stronger shaft (larger diameter) and big U joints. It was a no brainer for me.

The difference between the 7.25 and 8 3/4 measurements is 2.25”, that’s the difference at the axle.

Whether or not that’s the distance you need shorten your driveshaft depends on how well the current driveshaft actually fits the car. The best bet is always to measure your car. That said, that was exactly how much I had the driveshaft in my car shortened when I did my 7.25 to 8 3/4 swap.

As for the price, the shop I used charged ~$80 to shorten the driveshaft. Having a new one fabricated is usually upwards of $200 or more depending on the construction and size of the u joints.

That is what I needed to hear, thanks. And I agree, I will measure, but want to make sure the number I come up with is reasonable. The driveshaft BTY is a ball and trunnion replacement shaft with the Toyota slip yoke front, so it's not what I call normal. It was for my wagon, but not for the 8 3/4 I installed.

That is what I needed to hear, thanks. And I agree, I will measure, but want to make sure the number I come up with is reasonable. The driveshaft BTY is a ball and trunnion replacement shaft with the Toyota slip yoke front, so it's not what I call normal. It was for my wagon, but not for the 8 3/4 I installed.

Sounds like fun! Measure twice and cut once as they say. Good luck!

Thanks for the data. Most of my projects, I cut twice after measuring just once! Hah!

-
Back