Shorten driveshaft?

-

JR

Pissed off senior member.
Reaction score
What do you pay? I was just quoted $130 to shorten one 1" and balance it. I can have a new one built with a new yoke and new u-joints for $200 from another place. Seems kinda high for shortening one.

I had a quote for $75 to shorten plus $49 to balance. New shaft would've been $325 to $350 with U-joints.

I'm glad my old one worked!

I paid $75 to cut, balance and install new u-joints. Another time I paided $135 for cut, install new yoke, balance and install new u-joints.

I normally cut and weld my own......then again most of the ones I have done have been for mud trucks that do not see high road speeds so I did not bother having them balanced.

However...I would save the $$$ and cut and weld it yourself and then just foot the bill to have it balanced out at a shop.

Good Lord those prices. I had mine shortened for the second time a few weeks ago and it was $36 for the cut and would have been another $16 to balance. I've had it shortened two times and its still balanced.

$95 to shorten and balance aluminum shaft. 2 new joints brought the price up to $156 total.

I don't thing the amount of shortening matters 1" or 10", the labor is the same.

A lot of places say they balance the shaft, but in reality all they do is "true it up" and cross their fingers.

I may end up shortening it myself (I do have a little bid of welding experience under my belt :roll: ) then just pay for it to be balanced. I could build a jig out of angle iron to keep it strait. Any other tricks from someone that has done it before?

Ok,so Im putting a 360 SB with a 727 TF in my /6 72 Duster,but Im keeping the 7/14 rear.What do I expect to pay?And does the yolk have to be changed over to fit the 727?How many inches have to taken off my driveshaft?O.O

Your going to have to pay for the driveshaft to be shortened twice. Once for the 360/727 and once after you blow the 7 1/4 into a billion little pieces then install a 8 1/4 or 8 3/4.

HMMM I cut my own. Pretty simple task. I cut it and re-welded it. I took off two inches. I didnt re-balance and have no issues at 70mph.

Your going to have to pay for the driveshaft to be shortened twice. Once for the 360/727 and once after you blow the 7 1/4 into a billion little pieces then install a 8 1/4 or 8 3/4.
well crap,if a sbp A body 8 3/4 were a little easier to find and not so damn expensive to get(ive seen people sell them on here for over $700),I would have one already,lol.But when I DO decide to tear up the 7 1/4 ,ill be sure to take pictures of the carnage.lol Besides,I plan on driving it as normal as can.Im sure the 7 1/4 will not tear up just by cruising it.Its not going to be drag car.

I dont actually cut the shaft right away.

You shouldnt need a jig.

What i do it I set the drive shaft in a vise...I score a mark in the cap and down the shaft so I can keep track of the end caps orientation to the shaft and I take a hand grinder and i grind the the weld of the cap off and then i grind a " V " shape into where the weld was....I then chizzle the hole end cap ( U joint end ) off of the shaft ...(which has an inside diameter sleeve that sets inside the actual drive shaft)....then I cut the shaft down to the size I need and I reinsert the (u-joint end cap) into the drive shaft and align it with the orientation marks I scribed and then reweld it.

then its almost just like it was from the factory just shorted and the only thing that changes that may effect balance is how you weld but if you do a good job welding and cleaning up your welds...I don't think you would have any balance issues.

well crap,if a sbp A body 8 3/4 were a little easier to find and not so damn expensive to get(ive seen people sell them on here for over $700),I would have one already,lol.But when I DO decide to tear up the 7 1/4 ,ill be sure to take pictures of the carnage.lol Besides,I plan on driving it as normal as can.Im sure the 7 1/4 will not tear up just by cruising it.Its not going to be drag car.
Mine survived 2 summers of just cruzes but every time I pulled a gear I was waiting for the explosion. Finally got my 8 3/4 with bigger brakes too, Now onto the front discs ! Sorry to post this picture again but WTF its cool and I"m excited. Ordered my KYBs today.

65Dart 0062.jpg

-
Back