Shorter/shallower dust caps?

-

weezer

Reaction score
My 1967 Dart had the front disc brake swap already done when I got it. The wheel bearing dust cap sticks out just enough too far that the push-thru cap on my new wheels won’t allow the rim to seat on the hub. Is there a shorter/shallower dust cap replacement I can get?

Maybe you’ve got a different dust cap than the ones I have and have seen, but pretty much all the ones I’ve used barely cleared the spindle nut to begin with. So nothing shallower would clear the spindle nut.

It would likely be easier to find a taller push through cap.

What wheels and cap are we talking about here? Pictures would be super helpful.

A long time ago i ran into some brake rotors incorrectly machined. The register on the dust cap would botom on the center hub of the brake rotor before it was near the end of the spindle. I chucked the rotors up in the brake lathe backwards and then used the drum cutter to cut about 100 thousandths off of brake rotors hub face. I had to knock the studs out first.
it has been a couple decades so i cant recall what it was on. Im thinking old corvette but not sure.The only reason I remember is I hated having to repair new parts to do a job while trying to hit flat rate. It was the kind of thing that enraged

IMG_0020.jpeg

IMG_0019.jpeg

IMG_0018.jpeg

Top photo is the new wheels:Summit Racing Warrior with their push-thru center cap. Second photo shows the distance between the backside of the cap and the hub after the cap is bottomed against the dust cap. Last picture is the bare dust cap, hub, rotor assembly.

That’s a pretty standard dust cap. You won’t get the distance you need out of the dust cap, there’s no where near that much space between the dust cap and the spindle nut.

The issue is the distance the hub protrudes through the wheel. You’ll need to get a deeper push through wheel cap to make that work. Or a wheel spacer. But you should be able to find a taller wheel cap, just look up the wheel center diameter and do a search on Summit.

I had to do something similar with my Enkei RPF’s, I had to machine the wheel centers to clear the hub and then find a set of wheel caps to fit the new larger center register.

Soooooo…I took a few different size sockets, an extension, a small hammer and a stack of bath towels and gently, slowly tapped the back/inside of the offending wheel center caps until they bulged out just enough to give me the clearance I need (I think). Waiting on my tires to come in and be mounted so I can install the wheels and see what’s next.

-
Back