Shorty Headers

-
Apparently the self proclaimed former designer of Hooker headers has thin skin and thinks engines explode over 5k rpm.
I found it funny he actually created a thread in the welcome wagon saying he was new to Mopars. That was after he argued about primary pipe size here. Gotta start somewhere, I reckon.

thay did a manifold/shorty/header test on enginemasters on a mild sb, way i remember it,... shortys wont much better than manifolds and headers did like youd expect!

if ya watch the engine masters where thay try different length torque tubes its easy to see why headers are better,.. shorty's dont have any length of a collector, and a regular header still dose better with 26 inch's added to header collectors, its pretty much a no brainer to me! the longer the collector the better itll do up to 26/28 inches added....DWB

if ya watch the engine masters where thay try different length torque tubes its easy to see why headers are better,.. shorty's dont have any length of a collector, and a regular header still dose better with 26 inch's added to header collectors, its pretty much a no brainer to me! the longer the collector the better itll do up to 26/28 inches added....DWB

Just like header selection and design, the collector extension length also varies with setup. Compression, cam, heads (flow), intake - it all matters a bunch. Some combos work best in the 12-18" range, some want more, some want less.

The enginemasters stuff just goes to show that unless you're replicating a proven build, dyno time is well worth it. It's also worth experimenting with a few things once the engine is on the dyno too, things that can be replicated in the car - that way the dyno reflects reality.

I find it sad, that uninformed people, with incorrect information , are aloud to
cause many to spend $$ on wasteful products, then resort to childish responses, to prove how they think,
I will not engage in a battle of wits, with an unarmed person,
I found the "ignore " button , guess who was the 1st name I used in on? LOL

I find it sad, that uninformed people, with incorrect information , are aloud to
cause many to spend $$ on wasteful products, then resort to childish responses, to prove how they think,
I agree with a portion what you said, just needed to be worded different.
too much header will hurt performance in certain combinations.

I disagree with the ignore feature.
to whom it may concern, grow a pair. lol

Just delete the rest of your posts and save us all the time.

You've helped no one, offered nothing, and make generalized statements with zero backing that are completely contradicted by real world results.

Yeah, you can make dramatic differences in long tube output by changing collector length.

Why would we really even care?

Just delete the rest of your posts and save us all the time.

You've helped no one, offered nothing, and make generalized statements with zero backing that are completely contradicted by real world results.
and you have done what? show everyone nothing !
dispute facts, and in general provide nothing beneficial .
no, I'll stick around just to provide valid information not I heard, or someone told me, kind of stuff.

no, I'll stick around just to provide valid information not I heard, or someone told me, kind of stuff.

Hah.

And you've done what? You think we should all just fall in line and believe what you say with zero proof? Dolt.

oh, you built headers? BFD, so did i

and guess what? they added a nominal bump in power, only in the upper RPM with the combo that i was testing with.

you don't buy shorty headers when you're trying to make big dumb power. you buy them because of fitment issues, and because you either can't find, don't like the look of or don't want to spend the dosh for some 340 manifolds.

and before you start with some scientific process bullshit: it was the same engine, same car, on the same dyno. back to back, and yes, i did rejet and adjust the timing looking for more power.

welcome to FABO, we'd love to hear something about headers that we haven't all read, seen or experienced before.

oh, you built headers? BFD, so did i

and guess what? they added a nominal bump in power, only in the upper RPM with the combo that i was testing with.

you don't buy shorty headers when you're trying to make big dumb power. you buy them because of fitment issues, and because you either can't find, don't like the look of or don't want to spend the dosh for some 340 manifolds.

and before you start with some scientific process bullshit: it was the same engine, same car, on the same dyno. back to back, and yes, i did rejet and adjust the timing looking for more power.

welcome to FABO, we'd love to hear something about headers that we haven't all read, seen or experienced before.
no need for me to comment, as you and your buddys seem to be experts, ( at what? LOL)

no need for me to comment, as you and your buddys seem to be experts, ( at what? LOL)
No, you're the expert. Self proclaimed, no less. You seen one, you seen um all.

you came rolling up touting to be an expert, not any of us.

and you know what an expert is?

some asshole from out of town that nobody knows.

i come at you with anecdotal evidence, the collective here already is well aware of the probabilistic evidence and the dyno charts from the magazine article(s) prove the empirical evidence.

and your response is: derp, you guys don't know nuthin', lolz

your comments have made precisely zero-point-zero enrichment to the conversation.

big tubes if you wanna make big power way up in the RPM range, you say? oh really? in other news: water, wet; sky, blue.

I have tested enough to know that the goof balls at Hooker didn’t even know their own products.

Like calling Holley to get their “expert” advice on what size of THEIR a carb you should buy (which was too small every time and that has been proven wrong so many times now it’s not even up for discussion among people who actually have to make this **** run) calling Hooker was the same.

I have tested header sizing on every brand of engine and I can say with confidence IF you don’t cripple the engine with stupid cam timing a bigger tube header (correctly designed) will beat the hell out of the smaller recommended headers.

Compression matters too. Get the cam timing wrong and then cripple the engine with compression that doesn’t match your cam timing and header size won’t matter.

The lower your compression the BIGGER the tube can be. Counterintuitive but true.

So there is more to header sizing than just picking the biggest or smallest tube.

And sadly, the two best Chrysler headers Hooker ever made they no longer make.

If you didn’t have power steering your basic street/strip 318-340-360 should use the 5204 header and for more serious stuff the 5303 was the ****.

Of course, if you called Hooker they would tell you to buy their 1 5/8 garbage because everything else was way too big. And they were WRONG.

If you have power steering then you are stuck and IMO you’re just a street car.

I have tested enough to know that the goof balls at Hooker didn’t even know their own products.

Like calling Holley to get their “expert” advice on what size of THEIR a carb you should buy (which was too small every time and that has been proven wrong so many times now it’s not even up for discussion among people who actually have to make this **** run) calling Hooker was the same.

I have tested header sizing on every brand of engine and I can say with confidence IF you don’t cripple the engine with stupid cam timing a bigger tube header (correctly designed) will beat the hell out of the smaller recommended headers.

Compression matters too. Get the cam timing wrong and then cripple the engine with compression that doesn’t match your cam timing and header size won’t matter.

The lower your compression the BIGGER the tube can be. Counterintuitive but true.

So there is more to header sizing than just picking the biggest or smallest tube.

And sadly, the two best Chrysler headers Hooker ever made they no longer make.

If you didn’t have power steering your basic street/strip 318-340-360 should use the 5204 header and for more serious stuff the 5303 was the ****.

Of course, if you called Hooker they would tell you to buy their 1 5/8 garbage because everything else was way too big. And they were WRONG.

If you have power steering then you are stuck and IMO you’re just a street car.
I've done a little dyno testing myself in my time and every single time without fail, bigger tubes made more everywhere. Everywhere.

-
Back