Should I buy this Hot 360 Engine

-

mario03srt

Reaction score
All,

I've decided to look for a better engine into my new Dart. I'm on a budget and this engine looks like the Hot Rod or Mopar hot 360 builds. Builder claims 425 hp. Cam and Engine have been broke in. So it's new. Was going into a Dakota Race truck but now going BB. I have build pics. I have a 3000 stall in the 727 so this should work out?

Some other details not in the link. Stock Crank with 273 HD rods. Single Plane Intake. Dual Duration style Cam, getting exact type.

He is throwing in block hugger headers, 2.5" exhaust w/ chambered exhaust, 90 deg Oil Adapter.

Only needs a carb and correct oil pan to go!

http://www.racingjunk.com/Street/182527583/360-mopar.html

What are you opinions? I'm pretty excited for the price, a bit of a drive.

Marion

Boy I hate these kinds of deals unless there is a load of supporting documents proving who the builder was and how long it's been since it was built. It goes without saying how many passes at the drag strip has it made? Or some sort of iron clad warranty. Engines are all over the place that the owner claims all sorts of stuff. Be careful with your funds.

^ like he said buying an engine like that without all the documen to support it can be very much like dropping the soap in prison, do you really want to pick that soap up? Just sayin

He states you can hear it run, so I would definitely do that.

IIRC the 273 rod is lighter than a 360 rod, never heard of a HD273 rod either. Ask if he balanced it.

I'm with Dr dan, I hate to buy "built" engines with out documentation, hearing/driving it or knowing the seller. Personally, I consider them to be worth the sum of their parts.

Some other details.

ARP head studs, Howards Solid 555/563 Solid Cam, Torker Single Plane Intake, KB 191-30 pistons.

Yes I hear what you all are saying. Same thing my buddy is saying w/o seeing and hearing the Motor.

I have been racking my brain on what to do with only a 3k budget and an old engine I can part out for some extra $$$. Just bought new Cragars, T/A Radials, New Front End suspension and steering gear, shocks, alignment, etc. Not going to race it but flog it some for sure maybe a test and tune against some foxbodies etc....

For the money and a running new engine it seems pretty good. The owner is a straight up guy and build engines and races. I know, so what, he could still be a loser right?

If you've got 3 grand, that will go a long way toward building the engine you want, how you want it built. Then and only then can you look the guy who built in the eye when you have questions or heaven forbid a problem. That's the way I'd go. Good luck

IIRC the 273 rod is lighter than a 360 rod, never heard of a HD273 rod either. Ask if he balanced it.

I'm with Dr dan, I hate to buy "built" engines with out documentation, hearing/driving it or knowing the seller. Personally, I consider them to be worth the sum of their parts.

I was told that the pistons were weighed and ground to w/n a few grams, but no internal balancing. If the rotating assy was not rebalanced should have it been? I have been told that if I was to swap pistons I need a rebalance.

I will meet with him and he has documentation. In a way it is no different than buying any used car, do your homework, ask for opinions, get a feel of the owner, test out the ride, and decide.

If you've got 3 grand, that will go a long way toward building the engine you want, how you want it built. Then and only then can you look the guy who built in the eye when you have questions or heaven forbid a problem. That's the way I'd go. Good luck

I have considered that but am impatient and don't want my s*it hijacked for a year by a shop. I need to beat the street some. I got this car in May and have only been working it. I would expect to spend way more than 3k on a 400hp motor. I'm not saying it is a disposable motor but I want to get around in it before cold weather.

I thought about a 408 sb from Jegs or a Stroker Kit but the total $$$ to complete is way beyond that dollar amount. I'm on a budget.

How about the engine combo any comments on it?

if it was not balanced i would run. this stinks like an at home rebuild. I think he is trying to unload a cobbled together engine. Does he have receipts for machine work? that would be another red flag.

This. Especially if you started with a good core like a roller block 318 cop car motor, TBI 360, or Magnum 318/360 in reasonable shape. Truthfully the budget has room for rebuilding completely if necessary but a clean bore motor with low miles and good bores wouldn't be a downside. Also those goals are readily attainable from a good build with 360 or Magnum heads.

I was told that the pistons were weighed and ground to w/n a few grams, but no internal balancing. If the rotating assy was not rebalanced should have it been? I have been told that if I was to swap pistons I need a rebalance.

I will meet with him and he has documentation. In a way it is no different than buying any used car, do your homework, ask for opinions, get a feel of the owner, test out the ride, and decide.

Doesn't need to be internally balanced, but with new rods and pistons the rotating assembly should be balanced unless they weigh the same as the old ones, but even then you are relying on the factory balance job and they are notorious for not being very well done.

He changed pistons and rods, IMO yes it should've been rebalanced.

This. Especially if you started with a good core like a roller block 318 cop car motor, TBI 360, or Magnum 318/360 in reasonable shape. Truthfully the budget has room for rebuilding completely if necessary but a clean bore motor with low miles and good bores wouldn't be a downside. Also those goals are readily attainable from a good build with 360 or Magnum heads.

I have a 77 360 block with 596 Cop Car heads.

I was considering a 100k Magnum with cam, intake, carb, springs, and the needed accessories. Maybe 2k to 2.5k with no hiccups. Can't get myself to buy one though but I love the engine.

I was just informed that the Rods and Pistons were all w/i a couple of grams. Rods are the same length and weight as a 360 rod.

Mopar Performance offered an HD273 rod through their catalog for years. They were weight matched and came with good rod bolts. Really tough to find these days. That might be what he's talking about.

Mopar Performance offered an HD273 rod through their catalog for years. They were weight matched and came with good rod bolts. Really tough to find these days. That might be what he's talking about.

The owner just sent me a text that those rods have full floating pins.

The owner just sent me a text that those rods have full floating pins.

Yup. All the 273 rods did. I have two sets myself. They are pretty advantageous in weight compared to the 340/360 rods and just as strong if prepped right.

I agree with the others though that if you can drop 3K on an engine someone else built you can just about build what you want.

If I was to sell an engine on the web I'd expect to be asked for pics of the guts. He should be willing to pull a head and include a few top end gaskets in exchange for his full asking price.

I have pics of the block with the pistons, head studs, deck surface, pic of the pretty aluminum rockers, springs. no shots of the cam. I now have a video too.

But what about the Engine Combo please.

I would want documentation of everything, period, and even then I would be leery of a stranger. But I'm a suspicious person with my cash anyway.... LOL. Like others have said, if you have the cash for that engine, then have someone do it for you, or diy if only for the peace of mind and a WARRANTY!

Wether it's a good build or not I think it's a bit high for whats there. Was it line honed, torque plate used, stock replacement valves? Etc..etc..

-
Back