Should I call previous owner?

-
i did the exact thing / found the last guy that my car was titled to. very nice went and got me a duplicate title and mailed it for free even though i offered to
pay for his time and the expense.
all he asked for in return was a few pictures of the car / go for it give them a call!

About 5 years ago, I was at a junkyeard getting some parts and I noticed a nice looking S-10 Blazer sitting there. It was in a lot better shape than mine, so I aske the guy how much he wanted for it. He said $300. I ask why it was so cheap. He said that it blew up and the owner(some lady) called him and asked him to tow it. Then she wanted him to fix it. He didnot know what was wrong with it, so he tore it down enough to find out. When he told her that she was into him for $300 already, and that it would cost another $800 to fix it. He said she didnt want to put that much money in it so he could keep it. He said she never gave him the title. I didnt care since I just wanted it for parts to put on mine.

After I got all of the parts i needed, I wanted to scrap the rest, but the scrapyard wouldnt take it without a title. I went through some paperwork in the glovebox and found the ladys name and number. I gave her a call and told her I had bought the car and wanted to see if I could get the title. She started screaming at me that the guy at the junkyard stole her car from her, and that she wouldnt sign anything, and she wanted to know who I was, etc, etc, etc.

I just hung up on her and never called back.

I also had a friend who bought an old truck without a title, and fixed it up. When it was time to get the title, he tracked down the owner that still had the title. The guy told him that he wanted the truck back. That got really hairy, and my friend wound up losing the truck and all of the money he put into it.

So you just never know. I hope you havent put any money into your car yet. If so, it might be safer for you to get a title through a title company and forget about it. You dont legally own the car unless you are in a no title state and you have a bill of sale from the legal owner, so contacting a previous owner could be risky. The decision is up to you, but are a few stories worth losing the car? Who cares what other peoples memories are attached to it? Make some of your own.

Well I made the call today and the number is no good. So I called information and they said nobody by that name listed in the town I was looking in. Oh well it was worth a shot I may write a letter see if that works since I can find an address maybe he just uses a cell phone and is unlisted. You never know.

-
Back