Should I go bigger on the cam?

-

moturbopar

Reaction score
Ok I am building a 360 for my barracuda. I allready bought a voodoo 268, but some other things have changed in the build. Originally I was going to run 3.55 gears and a 2800 stall converter. Now I have 3.91 gears, and a 3800 tight converter. I am thinking the gear and stall might be too much for the 268 cam. I have been looking at the comp xe282s.

The engine is .030 over 360. 9.6 to 1
ported smog heads with 2.02 160 valves (flow numbers to come later)
1.5 roller rockers
ported M1 single plane
750 holley
1 5/8 headers
also a 100-125 shot of nitrous

904 reverse vb
3800 stall
3.91 gears
25.5" tall drag radials

keep the voodoo 268 or go bigger?

If you want more performance the bigger cam might be better. No head flow numbers makes it hard to determine. If you want driveability and performance is secondary then stick with the smaller cam.

Well the car gets driven on the weekend, and have no emissions. My goal is to run into the 12 on the engine, and see whatever it will do with the nitrous. I would really like to get it high 11s on the Nitrous. Dont know if I got enough to get there or not. As for headflow, The heads befor flowed 252 at .500 intake and 160 exhaust at .500, I now have undercut valves, little more portwork and a much better valve job, hoping to pick up 10 or so cfm. will know in a couple days what all the flow # are.

Go with the bigger cam. I've never been sorry for going with the bigger cam, even if I had to make the car work with it. That's my recommendation and I'm sticking with it.

The Lunati will have a much lower RPM range and just a slightly lumpy idle where-as the comp will be pretty nasty idling and pull like a bear to approx. 6500. The 3.91 gears and 3800 converter will support the XE282S. A buddy of mine had one in his 67 Cuda with mildly ported X heads, a 4000 converter and 4.11's and ran 12.30's with it running out of fuel at about 1200 feet. He never got the fuel issue worked out before he decided to do a stroker so we never really got to see what it would actually do but I think high 11's would have been possible. I have that same cam and lifters of his under my bench awaiting a new home. If you'd be interested in a real nice used set I'd make you a heck of a deal. All the lifters were carefully put in order in a lifter box and numbered so you can put them right back where they were.

Go with the bigger cam. I've never been sorry for going with the bigger cam, even if I had to make the car work with it. That's my recommendation and I'm sticking with it.
spoken like a true machinehead!!! I like your thought process! I agree but I'm a fan of Hughes cams.

-
Back