Should I install a Fast Ratio Steering Box?

-

66340SEDAN

FABO Member #3649
Reaction score
I have a factory fast ratio manual steering box from a Formula S Barracuda....my question is would my car benefit from installing it? It would go in my 1966 Valiant, car has skinny front runner mags on the front with narrow tires, car steers good at this time. I wouldn't mind having a steering box with fewer turns, but I thought I remember people saying they don't work well with narrow front wheels & tires? (oversteer at low speeds) I replaced a bunch of front end stuff and it would be easy to swap it in at this time so I am considering it. Also, If I decide to install it at a later point, will I have to get the car re-aligned? Lets hear what you think....thanks! :glasses7:

Heck, I'd install it in a heartbeat. Better than letting it sit around, collecting dust. I don't know who told you about the understeer, but that sounds like B.S. to me. It's just less turns lock-to-lock and more of a ***** to park the car when you're cranking that wheel stopped.

Now, maybe an argument could be made that using it with skinny tires isn't an worthwhile use of that box.......but I'd still bolt it in right now!

I got it about 6-7 years ago just after my car was all put back together, so I figured it would be a pain to change with the headers and all, but after looking its not bad in there. My car steers great with the narrow tires and I am used to it at this time. My dad has a fast ratio box in his original 66 Cuda and he has factory size tires on his and I really like how it steers.

I like mine alot, even if the car does change lanes if you sneeze. :)

Since you already know how it feels, and you like it in your dad's car, I don't know what's stopping you. Not much difference between wide tires and skinny tires as far as the steering is concerned. Plus since you have both, you can always put the standard one back if you don't like it.

The only thing with your alignment it could possible change would be steering wheel centering, but it should not even be able to change that. I would definately install it. In fact if you don't want to install it I would be happy to answer any ads you post that start with the phrase "free to good home"

Quick steer that Valiant, and I have to agree it will not do anything to your alignement ..... I have a small wheel on my Valiant and it tunes much faster, all it will do to your cool ride is a half turn of the wheel would be knocked down to 3/8'es of a turn I forgot, do you have power steering ? if not, all it will do is be just a bit harder to turn as you set still and as you roll out of a parking spot.

The only real downside is the added effort needed when parking. Alignment shouldn't be affected if its correctly coupled to the column. Even then an easy adjustment to correct. As for the oversteer, that becomes less of a factor as you will get to know the new ratio pretty quick & since you're running skinnys on the front I'm assuming its more of a drag car than a road course car. Another advantage is if it gets outta shape on the track you don't have to turn it a dozen times to correct to get it straight again & the wheel won't spin back as hard on you with the quicker ratio.
Plus think of the way your biceps & forearms will look!

love mine. Like memike said, I first got the car it was tough to steer from a stop and I considered changing it to power steering. The more I drove it though the more I got used to it. The smaller tire should actually make it easier to turn than std ones. I would do it if I were you in a heartbeat.

-
Back