Should I Replace AC Condenser?

-

Mako21

Reaction score
Hey all. I just had my RV2 rebuilt by classic auto air. I also purchased a new evaporator and drier and will be replacing all the lines. Also rebuilt the dash box/ blower assembly.

Can I flush out the original 1976 AC Condenser of R12, or is it advisable to purchase a new one so I don’t contaminate the 134 system? Also, not sure how to test if the original condenser is even good anymore. I would appreciate any advice or help. I currently have the condenser in the car in its original location.

Since you're strayed from 100% original, install a dedicated, R134a specific condenser for your car, if one is available.

If you re-use the OEM R-12 condenser (if it's still usable), you're going to have issues with refrigerant charge and system capacity/performance (head pressure issues, inadequate subcooling= less capacity, etc). I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's going to be a headache from Day One.

Been there, done this several times, and learned from experience.

I have run the original condenser on all my cars I restored. The only one that gave/gives me fits is a '73 Dart system. It has crazy high head pressure once the temps get above 90F and the low side is _always_ below 15PSI no matter what you do to the system. It is so bad the clutch can't engage if it cycles and will burn up the clutch. I have tried everything including putting in a large 134 condenser. Did nothing. So my experience is maybe putting the R134 condenser into a system that works reasonably well will make it work better but if the system is working like crap it won't magically fix it. I have recently found that there was a production change mid way through '73 (this was the first year for and updated system from the '70-'72 systems) and the evaporators are radically different. You can't even get a new evaporator for the early '73s. I have a '74 box that I plan on grafting in temporarily one of these years to see it that gets the pressures down to a more correct place. My hope is they realized they had a bad design and fixed in with the update and I can put the '74 box in for the '73.

Friend's 78 Aspen has a converted system (still running the RV2) using the stock condenser. I recall he removed it, cleaned it, and blew it out with lots of compressed air (to get the R-12 oil out), then reinstalled and charged. It works quite well, cools the cavernous (station wagon) interior nicely.

-
Back