Should I run a 2.74 first in my 904?

-

Dragonbat13

Reaction score
I scored a LA Roller 318 engine from my brother. I am planning on putting EQ heads on it, a Weiand Action Plus intake, Thermoquad, and regrinding the cam.

I have a case, front pump, and input shaft out of a 904. I also have two A999 transmissions.

The 8 1/4 rear end currently has an open 3.23 diff, but I am strongly considering putting a 3.55 gear and either a clutch type diff, or a tru trac. I am about 95 percent sure that I am going to put the 3.55 gear in. The tire size will be a 215/60 on all four corners with cop wheels. For refrence I found that a 215/60R15 is a 25.1 inch diameter tire.

As far as the cam and torque converter, I am waiting until I have just about everything gathered up before I decide on cam specs, and once the cam is chosen the torque converter will be custom built. Also, I plan on running a good transmission cooler setup.

I also plan on adjusting the governor weights to allow the car to be as "stab it and steer" as possible. But I dont see the shift point being below 5500. I just dont want to go above 6500 if anything. I cant really say because I havent decided on the cam yet.

I want the car to be a good street runner. At least the best a 318 street runner could be.
Also, the car will see some 60 MPH driving, but no long distance interstate driving. I can sacrifice highway speed some due to my location where I live. However, to keep the thread sane I am going to keep with a 3.55 gear as the max I will raise the rear end ratio.

I have two questions regarding the 2.74 gear,

First, Do my plans sound like I should run the 2.74, or should I stick with the 2.45 first?

Second, how does the 2.74 gear affect the flash stall during shifts in the torque converter?

I scored a LA Roller 318 engine from my brother. I am planning on putting EQ heads on it, a Weiand Action Plus intake, Thermoquad, and regrinding the cam.

I have a case, front pump, and input shaft out of a 904. I also have two A999 transmissions.

The 8 1/4 rear end currently has an open 3.23 diff, but I am strongly considering putting a 3.55 gear and either a clutch type diff, or a tru trac. I am about 95 percent sure that I am going to put the 3.55 gear in. The tire size will be a 215/60 on all four corners with cop wheels. For refrence I found that a 215/60R15 is a 25.1 inch diameter tire.

As far as the cam and torque converter, I am waiting until I have just about everything gathered up before I decide on cam specs, and once the cam is chosen the torque converter will be custom built. Also, I plan on running a good transmission cooler setup.

I also plan on adjusting the governor weights to allow the car to be as "stab it and steer" as possible. But I dont see the shift point being below 5500. I just dont want to go above 6500 if anything. I cant really say because I havent decided on the cam yet.

I want the car to be a good street runner. At least the best a 318 street runner could be.
Also, the car will see some 60 MPH driving, but no long distance interstate driving. I can sacrifice highway speed some due to my location where I live. However, to keep the thread sane I am going to keep with a 3.55 gear as the max I will raise the rear end ratio.

I have two questions regarding the 2.74 gear,

First, Do my plans sound like I should run the 2.74, or should I stick with the 2.45 first?

Second, how does the 2.74 gear affect the flash stall during shifts in the torque converter?

Run the low gear. Use all the torque multiplication you can get.

Low gear should not affect the stall. Keep in mind you are also changing the power band of the engine with your planned modifications which would probably have a more pronounced effect on stall than the gears.

Just so you know, most A999s are most likely going to be a lockup style so you really can't mix and match parts too much with a standard 904. Just about the only thing you can swap easily is the low gear set but make sure you get the sun shell and associated parts because they are totally different. Low gear sets only came in lockup transmissions after 1980 or so.

See this thread here.

-
Back