should i run front adjustable shocks

-

RyanUpdike70

Reaction score
I have been told I need to run adjustable front shocks on my duster has ladder bar suspension with strange single adjustable coilovers. Car hooks good and goes straight I run calvert 90/10 shocks on the front car comes up very quick almost pulls the wheels off the ground and I was told u didn't want it to do that and have read on a couple suspension website so I brought a use set of qa1 adjustable shocks and a set them at 2 clicks from fully loose best 60ft was 1.80 put them a 0 got a 1.75 60ft but with the calverts I get a 1.64 60ft time I am confused on which shocks to run. This pic is with the calverts 90/10

Attachments

• bcd3.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 246
Sorry to say but the QA1's aren't much of a shock.

How much front end travel do you have? I would try to limit it. What's the ET? Give us an idea of what the car has, is it a slug 60' with enough power to compensate and still run good or is it close to being right on track with good increments.

the car has a 440 30 over 10 5 1 comp quick fuel 850 carb 509 cam 452 heads ptc 9.5 convertor turbo action reverse valve body 456 gears car ran a best of 7.75 1.75 60ft car has been 7.64 with 1.64 60ft before I took 150 pounds out of the car

I have been thinking of going to adjustable front shocks also, I am running the calvert front shocks. I have a good 60ft. but need to control wheel stands ,when mine lands it unloads the rear tires.
It is going alot higher than the picture in my avatar. Just cannot get pictures to load.

Spring loaded limiter rod. They are sweet, did them on a friends BBC fox body

Here's my ladder bar car.
Just KYB's on the front for a 68 Dart street car.
Car comes up hard but has enough power to ride it out.

60' at 1.64 should be in the 7.4x range 1/8th mile. 330' around 4.75. 1/8 mile MPH should be ~91ish.

Are the calverts the loosest shock? If so, the car appears to leave better with a looser shocks. The numbers don't lie! I wouldn't mess with limiters, IMO, you aren't in that neighborhood. Have you altered the upper a arm bump stops?

Something in the driveline is chewing up HP is my guess. Looks as if it gets softer further down track. First on my hit list would be converter, Second fuel delivery. That thing could possibly take a ton of timing, maybe 40-44 total with that large cam, open chambers and low compression. Should have a LOT of initial/idle timing, 20-26.

I have been told I need to run adjustable front shocks on my duster has ladder bar suspension with strange single adjustable coilovers. Car hooks good and goes straight I run calvert 90/10 shocks on the front car comes up very quick almost pulls the wheels off the ground and I was told u didn't want it to do that and have read on a couple suspension website so I brought a use set of qa1 adjustable shocks and a set them at 2 clicks from fully loose best 60ft was 1.80 put them a 0 got a 1.75 60ft but with the calverts I get a 1.64 60ft time I am confused on which shocks to run. This pic is with the calverts 90/10

I seem to recall talking to you about this a few months ago, so I'll just reiterate what I said before. In your particular application, you need a very loose shock to transfer weight quickly. The Calvert shock is a very loose shock and well suited for this.....and your 60' times just proved my point. Sorry, but you just wasted money on the QA1 shocks.

I seem to recall talking to you about this a few months ago, so I'll just reiterate what I said before. In your particular application, you need a very loose shock to transfer weight quickly. The Calvert shock is a very loose shock and well suited for this.....and your 60' times just proved my point. Sorry, but you just wasted money on the QA1 shocks.

thanks flyfish I always thought car was working right with the calverts but have had peple tell me otherwise so calverts are going on back on I only had 50 bucks in the qa1s o well

thanks flyfish I always thought car was working right with the calverts but have had peple tell me otherwise so calverts are going on back on I only had 50 bucks in the qa1s o well

I feel your pain man. I have had people "help" me spend my money before on this same subject. I was told by lots of folks over on Moparts that my Competition Engineering 3-way adjustible shocks were junk, and that I needed to switch to the Calvert shocks because they were "it". I was still trying to get my Caltracs to hook well at the time, so I bought the Calvert shocks...nice shock, very loose. Swapped them out with the CE shocks and the car ran EXACTLY the same.....but my wallet was lighter. I still have the CE shocks sitting on a shelf. I just left the Calvert shocks on the car because they work well, but for my car they weren't any better than the CE shocks.

60' at 1.64 should be in the 7.4x range 1/8th mile. 330' around 4.75. 1/8 mile MPH should be ~91ish.

Are the calverts the loosest shock? If so, the car appears to leave better with a looser shocks. The numbers don't lie! I wouldn't mess with limiters, IMO, you aren't in that neighborhood. Have you altered the upper a arm bump stops?

Something in the driveline is chewing up HP is my guess. Looks as if it gets softer further down track. First on my hit list would be converter, Second fuel delivery. That thing could possibly take a ton of timing, maybe 40-44 total with that large cam, open chambers and low compression. Should have a LOT of initial/idle timing, 20-26.

no I haven't must with my bumpstomps I have run 36 degree timing car run 7.75 at 89.00 the 7.64 pass was with 32 degrees and car mph is always around 87 to 89 mph fuel pressure is at 7 psi I run ptc 9.5 convertor and since the 7.64 pass I have taken 150 pounds out of the car

Best thing you can do is make sure you have no binding in the frt and rear suspension .
My ss 002/003 with comp 3 ways went just as fast as my caltracs with strange adj .

-
Back