Should I sell my Dart and buy a Demon?

-

Michaeluser

Reaction score
I found a 1972 340 4spd Demon for sale and I was thinking of selling my 68 Dart GT.

I am going to look at the car today and was wondering how to tell if it's a "real" 340 car. The engine and trans are gone but the car sits in original (red) paint and such. What is different about a 1972 340 compared to say a 1968? Is this car rare?

Where and what should I look for: Vin needs to match what?

Thanks

Smaller valves and lower compression in the 72 340 if I remember right.
They only made the demon 2 years so both are rare in 340 trim but the 71 is usually the sought after one.jmo

I assume that you are trying to verify if the car came from the factory with the 340 / 4 speed options?

Is the fender tag there? Is the build sheet under the back seat? (ya never know... it could still be there)

If the fender tag is there, you can decode it.

Yes I am trying to verify the car.
I will check the back seat and such.

Thanks

5th digit of the VIN should be an H for 340 cars. There should also be a stamping on the top of the drivers side core support with the last 6 digits of the VIN #. There is another stamping under the package tray drivers side (seen from inside the car, not from the trunk)

Good luck......

If it is a 340 4 speed car it should have torque boxes and the fender tag should read E55 D21 in the bottom left corner.

If it's close to me I'd help you verify the car. Is it Paul's?

Original color and options make a huge difference in value of Demons.

If the price is right, I'd swap out from a non 340/383/440 factory 67-69 Dart to a 340 4 gear Demon EVERYTIME! Twice on Sundays.

If you go look at it, make sure to get the fender tag info and broadcast sheet copy if possible.

I missed the part about missing eng/trans. The last 8 of the vin should be on the radiator support and package tray by the drives side speaker hole.

Look at the fender tag. Burnt gave you the tag codes along with 1wild.

The 72 engine wasn't as desirable as the 68-71 pieces.

If the body is solid it might be a good buy.

-
Back