Should it be this hard to go backwards?

-

FlDart360

Reaction score
Hi all need to tap the mighty Mopar brain again. I’m Just a little over two years into ownership of my 1971 swinger and have no regrets. My latest head scratcher is something I have never noticed before in any previous car. Here is my setup 360LA motor, 727 transmission with a Cheetah Valve Body kit and an unknown torque converter the rear end is an 8.25. The question I have is what would cause a car to take more effort to roll in neutral backwards but rolls very easy going forward. Also when under power in reverse you really need in my opinion to give it more gas to get moving. You also hear a wine that increases the faster you try to go in reverse. I started to troubleshoot this problem with the car on jack stands eliminating the brakes, and brake drums and finally disconnecting the driveshaft from the rear end altogether. What I found is that with the rear end disconnect from the driveshaft and the transmission in neutral I can turn the driveshaft easily in the forward direction, but barely in the reverse direction. When you drive the car it shifts fine and downshifts fine. The previous owner didn’t provide me with many details on what he replaced or rebuilt and I knew that when I made the decision to buy. Thankfully I enjoy the challenge and enjoy the learning of it all. Thanks again to all who respond.

-
Back