Show off your intercooler and plumbing

-

USCG CHARGER

Reaction score
I'm looking for ideas on how I can run my twin turbo set up with intercooler/coolers. I like the symmetrical look. wonder if I could get by with something like this as far as inner coolers and plumbing to throttle body. my turbos will be mounted up front not sold on any facing direction.
airtoair.jpg

are you set on air to air?? or would you go water to air?

I'm not really sold on anything. I know that I don't want to always to be filling the tank with ice and water to fight off the heat. I'd like something that is efficent for a dual purpose street/strip car. What ideas did you have?

I've been looking at some pics of water/air intercoolers on line and some have a whole radiator/heat exchanger thing, but now you'd have to find a place for the intercooler AND the radiator for the intercooler cooling system :lol:

I've been looking at some pics of water/air intercoolers on line and some have a whole radiator/heat exchanger thing, but now you'd have to find a place for the intercooler AND the radiator for the intercooler cooling system :lol:

Mad Dart did a really sick job on his cooling system using 2 water:air intercoolers and a large heat exchanger.

I'm not really sold on anything. I know that I don't want to always to be filling the tank with ice and water to fight off the heat. I'd like something that is efficent for a dual purpose street/strip car. What ideas did you have?

well i have a water to air system on my dart. i made a 7 gallon tank, the innercooler rated for 1200 hp., i converted a ford f-450 trans cooler into a heat exchanger that i mounted under the trunk where the gas tank was. it also has daul spal fans on it. i never have to add water and i only use ice when i really want to beat on it (i.e. the track or dyno..). i drive the car on the street when its 30deg or 110deg outside! it always runs the same. i will try to post some pics later if you want.

Have you looked into meth injection there's alot of benefits that can be had I'm running one without a intercooler there's a bunch of high HP cars on theturboforum running a similar setup no intercooler with meth and putting out 700 or 800 HP
Just something too think about

Have you looked into meth injection there's alot of benefits that can be had I'm running one without a intercooler there's a bunch of high HP cars on theturboforum running a similar setup no intercooler with meth and putting out 700 or 800 HP
Just something too think about

that works great too but that runs out.. u dont want to be under boost and have meth run out!!! ping ping ping BOOM!!! if you dont have an intercooler i would run e85...

I'm running both pump gas on the street and e85 on another tune. I just want to be safe and run some sort of inter cooler

Whatever you do on an A Body with a Twin Turbo set up is going to be tight. Trying to hide everything is a job.

Hi Guys,

Don't know about twins but here is my early 67 Aussie A-body with a single BW and under dash IC.
Everything is tight but a challange.

Thanks
Cheers
gg408

Attachments

• small.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 649
  • small2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 610
  • small3.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 601
Hi Guys,

Don't know about twins but here is my early 67 Aussie A-body with a single BW and under dash IC.
Everything is tight but a challange.

Thanks
Cheers
gg408

Cool car!! Those look like Log Style Headers. Did you make those yourself also?
What kind of Shifter is under that Console? Curious cause it does not look anything like a USA Stock Shifter.

i agree with you mad dart,that (and yours)car is wicked looking!

Cool car!! Those look like Log Style Headers. Did you make those yourself also?
What kind of Shifter is under that Console? Curious cause it does not look anything like a USA Stock Shifter.

Thanks guys.
The logs I made myself, might be a bit small but will make a better set later.
The shifter is a B&M Pro stick with a different shifter nob which I modded the console to fit.

Cheers
gg408

Attachments

• 100_0451.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 607
I was told that with mine being a street/strip car that I wouldn't need an inter cooler b/c I would not be in boost long enough to generate the heat. What are your thoughts on this.. I want it to be as safe as possible, I will be tuned for E85 and another tune for 93 oct gas.

You can run straight Meth Injection. Shady Dell here has a single turbo, no intercooler and made over 1200 HP with a Small Block Mopar. I think he had 2 #10 Nozzles spraying the meth. IIRC

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CD2zpa5IjY"]417" Mopar Turbo Dyno Pull 1214 HP - YouTube[/ame]

I'm really not interested in running that as a band aid. I just wanted to know if this info was correct? He basically said the heat exchanger isn't needed unless you are gonna road race this thing. Street strip cars dont spend enough time in boost on the street to create enough heat to require using one. Just put a hobbs switch on a pipe and use it to activate the IC pump at 3 or 4 psi. Use a double pole double throw switch, use tge hobbs on one side and wire it directly the other. Street mode one way, race mode the other.

I was describing a set up like urs mad dart

I'm really not interested in running that as a band aid. I just wanted to know if this info was correct? He basically said the heat exchanger isn't needed unless you are gonna road race this thing. Street strip cars dont spend enough time in boost on the street to create enough heat to require using one. Just put a hobbs switch on a pipe and use it to activate the IC pump at 3 or 4 psi. Use a double pole double throw switch, use tge hobbs on one side and wire it directly the other. Street mode one way, race mode the other.

I was describing a set up like urs mad dart

Mine is over kill. As you already know Detonation will KILL your engine. I want my Intake Air Temps to be as cold as possible to the point where the Throttle Body gets Frozen!! :D My IC Pump is set to come on at 3800 RPM or 3PSI and shut off at 6000. My Meth Injection is set to kick in at 5 PSI or 4500 RPM. The Heat Exchanger Fans are set to come on with Intake Air temp over 120* and shut off at 100* or 6000 RPM. Radiator Fans come on at 160* and shut off at 150* or at 6000RPM. Of course this is all rough for now until the real world conditions kick in.

There are several ways to skin a cat. Mine is only an example. As someone always says. "Pick your parts pay your $$."

I just noticed you said Hobbs Switch for the IC Pump. I thought you were going EFI?? If so the ECU should control all on and off settings. A Hobbs switch will not be needed to control anything.

Luis,

I like the way you think... Now way I'm going to spend big coin on this set up only to have problems b/c I didn't have some added insurance with a nice Ic unit. I'll prolly do something close to what ur doing minus the meth... I will run E85 as much as possible too.

I just noticed you said Hobbs Switch for the IC Pump. I thought you were going EFI?? If so the ECU should control all on and off settings. A Hobbs switch will not be needed to control anything.

This is what someone posted in my thread on another forum... I will be running EFI.

Luis,

I like the way you think... Now way I'm going to spend big coin on this set up only to have problems b/c I didn't have some added insurance with a nice Ic unit. I'll prolly do something close to what ur doing minus the meth... I will run E85 as much as possible too.

Lucky! E85 is too far away for me to use it or I would. I was talking to a Fuel Distributor to deliver 55 Gal Drums that I can store and he said that is a bad idea. If E85 Sits too long you need to test the fuel to make sure it is still good.

I was told that with mine being a street/strip car that I wouldn't need an inter cooler b/c I would not be in boost long enough to generate the heat. What are your thoughts on this.. I want it to be as safe as possible, I will be tuned for E85 and another tune for 93 oct gas.

whenever you compress air it gets heated! even the air coming out of the turbo when your not beating on it is VERY hot! you really cant even touch the "cold side" pipes without getting burnt just imagine how hot they get with a lil boost for a short time! i have my i/c pump on at all time when the car is running. ive only put ice in it one time just too see what it would do and i coulndt belive the diff.!! but just driving around town or beating on it i dont have to worry about det....

-
Back