Show your slant 6 a body!

-
Here are a few photos of my car, an official factory import to France that I purchased from a breaker's yard for € 450. Needless to say, one had to be fairly wealthy to purchase and maintain an American in 1975.

I've modified the motor extensively with (mostly) Australian performance parts. As a guideline, I've installed an Edelbrock 600cfm 4-barrel carburettor, which has more than 3 times the through-put of the original 1-barrel carter. I also have a tuned intake manifold, a gas-flowed cylinder head with larger valves and dual valve springs, high compression pistons, a mild racing camshaft and a tubular extractor feeding into a 2-1/4" Magnaflow builder's kit exhaust. I was surprised how well everything came together and the outcome is quite homogeneous. I mean to change the alternator to a 100amp item and install an aluminium competition radiator. Then the electro-mechanical side will be almost perfect and my guess is that it produces ca 300hp. The car will do a quarter mile in the low 14-s.

I've also installed new front and rear axles (the latter a Ford 9" with a "Strange Engineering" limited-slip differential) from "Control Freak Suspensions" with coil-over shock absorbers and 4-wheel "Wilwood" disc brakes. The wheels are 7" x 17" American Racing Salt Flats in the front and 10.5" wide in the rear, with Pirelli P-Zero Assimetrico tyres (245/45 YR 17-s front and 285/40 YR 17-s rear).

The interior is redone in leather by a professional saddler.

Here are some photos..

Attachments

• 190407_472400059506697_1827255565_n.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,551
  • 183688_472400256173344_1782405797_n.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,647
  • 625499_354534931293211_299839272_n.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 1,435
  • 559239_355361571210547_2017547465_n.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,426
  • 549493_354535674626470_1724462451_n.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1,443
  • 483507_393555617391142_1850211583_n.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 1,427
  • 1093932_512736045473098_1053393725_o.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,420
  • 1008831_512736098806426_823880833_o.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,403
You can be very proud of that, it's lovely. Well done. I bet it blows peoples minds when you go cruising!

Your rear setup is down right awesome. And looks to be pretty indestructible. I'm gonna change all the forest green interior to black, already have done the dash and rebuilt the gauge cluster. I'll be keeping the bench seats but replacing the fabric of course. Gotta order my carpet and headliner in the next few weeks and rebuild the door panels with new fabric and board. For engine I'll be using a reman'd engine from Autozone with a cam, 4bbl, and t3/t4 setup. Looking to make a fun cruiser that has enough get up and go to spin the rear tires. Starting the door panels in the next couple of weeks. It's fun to see how much it has changed since I first got it.

IMG_2565_zps2002560b.jpg

IMG_2567_zpsd2ee4e13.jpg

IMAG0715_zps10a7ec44.jpg

Pls remember that if you change the camshaft and the car has an automatic transmission then you will also have to change the torque converter to one with an higher stall speed. Otherwise the engine will work at higher revs for a given road speed. A 4 barrel carbie will require a different intake manifold and, for good measure, extractors. The weakest link of the 3.7l slant-6 will always be the gas-flow of the factory cylinder head, which was designed for the smaller 2.7l engine. Bigger valves, porting and polishing are needed to get the best out of a 4-barrel carbie.

By the way, I also enjoyed watching the transformation of my car. I still have some changes planned but at this stage I'm in no hurry to implement them. Winter is coming and my car will be hibernating..

Lots done on my 68 DD. Getting ready for intake swap. Still need more pieces... and chasing down a heating issue. 8k miles I've spent with her so far. Going to redo all the interior to get rid of the forest green inside...

I need new wheels too. The ones on there remind me of skateboard wheels supporting the Titanic.

Mopar forest green interior - the horror, the horror..

You got a build thread Zuluman?? That's the first RMS slant I've seen! I'd like to know more! Or is it not an RMS?

Also a beautiful car ABQDart116!!

Don't compare it to show cars, and you won't have to. :)

Personally, I've gotten tired of seeing perfect paint jobs and engine bays. I like a car to have "patina", and look like it's DRIVEN. A LOT.

I've completely abandoned the shiny, pseudo-restoration plans for my Swinger, and have decided to go with more of a "Rat Rod" look — straight body, nice stance, cool wheels, mechanically superior to stock, and something I don't have to worry about if I drive it to the grocery store and grandma scrapes the fender of her Buick along my quarter-panel and is too old to even realize it (in case it isn't obvious, it's to me happened before).

Don't get me wrong — I have nothing against show cars, and I'm not knocking guys with shiny paint jobs, I've just seen so many of them over the past 15 years that I'm no longer interested in seeing any more. I'd rather see some guy's dirty but functional home-brewed turbo slant under the hood than a pristine big block, or a customized instrument cluster with a rack of modern gauges than another perfectly restored A-body dash. I've seen a few thousand of those, and I'd rather see someone's creativity, not their ability to make old things look brand new. I want to see someone's "thumb print" on a car. I realize this is almost heresy to some folks who wanna relive the 60's and 70's, but to each his own.

Sorry — rant over. ALL of the owners of the cars in this thread should be proud. I LOVE your car, pharmboy. I'd drive it down the street ANY day. Wish I could fake that same consistent faded paint on my Swinger. :)
God bless you sir! I am so glad that I am over having the perfect car myself! I just want a mechanically solid car, good stance, good brakes and black steelies! :prayer:

I'm with you guys, Just buildin' a fun driver that you can park anywhere,drive anywhere. The days of flawless cars are over for me.Good, safe running underpinnings,with the exterior lookin' 50 years old and crusty.

Attachments

• IMG_1735.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,078
  • IMG_1932.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,080
I just read right through this thread and didn't see a '66 GT so I thought I had better put up some pics of ours.

Picked this one up a couple of months back. /6 auto.

Believed to be the only one in New Zealand. Imported asa one owner car by the previous owners in 2007. They went right through it. Panel and paint. new vynil roof, all chrome and stainless trim repolished.

Been fitted with electronic ignition, dual barrel carb and headers. Original a/c car. The a/c equipment was removed from the engine when the headers were fitted and I am in the process of refitting it all.

NO plans for a V8 or mag wheels. This one will stay stock.

Nice ride, That's what I got,. a car that I can enjoy every day when the weather warms up. Had show cars in the past.

Nice ride, That's what I got,. a car that I can enjoy every day when the weather warms up. Had show cars in the past.

We have had a lot of different rides (of all makes) in the past but really like this one. Practical car that can be driven in all weather. Certainly gets some looks. Hope you enjoy yours as much as we intend to enjoy this.

'65 Valiant, 170 /, T5, Holley 2 bbl (TBI pending) on Clifford intake, V6 Fiero air filter assem., owner-built 2.25" mandrel bends exhaust with owner-built "Monza" tip, 3.73 Ford 7.5", "Cop car" wheels w/ the Valiant's original small caps, Nardi steering wheel, DynaPro's on OE rotors, 90A Bosch alt on custom bracket,

Build: http://slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49591&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

i-X776T4b-M.jpg

i-F4snHcj-M.jpg

Got her done and ready for the road

Attachments

• IMG_2000.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 749
  • IMG_1999.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 747
Here's my girl. Right now I'm just trying to get her stable enough to make the 12 hour trip back home this month. Picked her up in November.

It's more or less a super six setup, with a 318 version of a Carter BBD, super six intake, manual choke, A904, and what I think is the following cam:

P3690766 SS14-112 268° duration .450" lift, 108° LSA .016"/.020" int/exh lash

I put some BFs on the 4" small bolt steel wheels. 215/75/14 I think, can't remember.

When I get home to Mississippi and really get to work on her I'll start a full build thread.

Here are a few photos of my car, an official factory import to France that I purchased from a breaker's yard for € 450. Needless to say, one had to be fairly wealthy to purchase and maintain an American in 1975.

I've modified the motor extensively with (mostly) Australian performance parts. As a guideline, I've installed an Edelbrock 600cfm 4-barrel carburettor, which has more than 3 times the through-put of the original 1-barrel carter. I also have a tuned intake manifold, a gas-flowed cylinder head with larger valves and dual valve springs, high compression pistons, a mild racing camshaft and a tubular extractor feeding into a 2-1/4" Magnaflow builder's kit exhaust. I was surprised how well everything came together and the outcome is quite homogeneous. I mean to change the alternator to a 100amp item and install an aluminium competition radiator. Then the electro-mechanical side will be almost perfect and my guess is that it produces ca 300hp. The car will do a quarter mile in the low 14-s.

I've also installed new front and rear axles (the latter a Ford 9" with a "Strange Engineering" limited-slip differential) from "Control Freak Suspensions" with coil-over shock absorbers and 4-wheel "Wilwood" disc brakes. The wheels are 7" x 17" American Racing Salt Flats in the front and 10.5" wide in the rear, with Pirelli P-Zero Assimetrico tyres (245/45 YR 17-s front and 285/40 YR 17-s rear).

The interior is redone in leather by a professional saddler.

Here are some photos..

great looking 4 door... your my inspiration

Just found this site today had to sign up. I used to post on slantsix.org. So some of my pictures you might recognize.Im about 95% done to having it on the road. It sounds silly but I learned about cars via honda bseries and fuel injection, old school is def growing on me.

Attachments

• garagedust.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 661
'65 Valiant, 170 /, T5, Holley 2 bbl (TBI pending) on Clifford intake, V6 Fiero air filter assem., owner-built 2.25" mandrel bends exhaust with owner-built "Monza" tip, 3.73 Ford 7.5", "Cop car" wheels w/ the Valiant's original small caps, Nardi steering wheel, DynaPro's on OE rotors, 90A Bosch alt on custom bracket,

Build: http://slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49591&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

i-X776T4b-M.jpg

i-F4snHcj-M.jpg

Wow, that's a really tasteful looking car. I like that a lot. :)

-
Back