Showing my age, SUNOCO 260

-
If we only stockpile it with some stabil we would be rich now. There was also a station that had cam 2 for 1.25 a gallon, I think it was 110 octane! Little rough when I was making around .90 an hour!

"Sunoco 260: Power to be used, not abused".

It's what I used to burn in my brand spankin' new 1968 Hemi Roadrunner. Most other gas would knock or ping, and I was not about to retard the timing to suit the lower octane ratings of other gases.

Sunoco 260: Power to be used, not abused".

HAVE NOT HEARD THAT SLOGAN IN A WHILE!

My Dad had a Sunoco Station where I worked as a teenager. All the local hot cars would come in for fuel......often. I was working there from around 1967 on. We had a lot of 340 darts, 383 Roadrunners, at least 1 Hemi Roadrunner, a 1967 GTX 4 speed, as regulars. I remember talking to the guy with the hemi runner. He was complaining about gas mileage (single digits I think) and the fact he had to change plugs very 5,000 miles. A lot of brand X cars also, but my preference was already set. By the way, we used to sell them a lot of tires also.

So, does the price of that come down along with the price of regular gas now? I should check and maybe stockpile for the summer.

I would not know where to get it....maybe at a track?

I remember 260 for 35 cents, no ping in my 70 340 Duster. Bought Sunoco 100 for 7 bucks a gal 2 months ago at the track OUCH. Dropped 4 tenths with just an octane boost.

If we only stockpile it with some stabil we would be rich now. There was also a station that had cam 2 for 1.25 a gallon, I think it was 110 octane! Little rough when I was making around .90 an hour!

I used to abie able to get Torco 117 octane at a BP in Trenton, Michigan...

Blending the gas yourself saves a lot of money. I have a sunoco station about 10 miles from my house that I paid 10.50 a gallon for it. New owners now and they dont carry it. I found a place in PA (about 35 minutes from my house) that has it for 8.50 a gallon. Factor in the trip with my truck and I'm still at 10.00 per gallon. If I buy 5 gals. of 116 at the track for 50 bucks and mix it with 30 gals. of super, I get over 100 octane for 4 bucks a gallon.

Remember we called it 260 action. May have just been a local thing. S.E. Wisconsin.

Refresh my memory---

Was 260 the top rating?

I remember running the "next to the top" rating (240?) in my mom's 1967 383 Newport circa 1974.

I was about 6....My first experience with Mopar. I LOVED that car.

Very similar to this one-

Attachments

• 67 Newport dr.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 238
  • 67 Newport pf.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 245
Dart is full of VP 110, think it was 7.39 a gallon. Convenient, bulk station about 7 miles from the house open 24/7 with credit card, oh and LONG HOSE to boot.

I remember the Sonoco stations and dial to the octane you desired.

Buddy bought a 69 Judge that had been sitting since 1975 thinking he would. Have to remove and clean the tank. Dumped out a full tank of RED 260 and tank was clean as can be.

The good old fuel was much better and stabil than the new stuff.

My Dad had a Sunoco Station where I worked as a teenager. All the local hot cars would come in for fuel......often. I was working there from around 1967 on. We had a lot of 340 darts, 383 Roadrunners, at least 1 Hemi Roadrunner, a 1967 GTX 4 speed, as regulars. I remember talking to the guy with the hemi runner. He was complaining about gas mileage (single digits I think) and the fact he had to change plugs very 5,000 miles. A lot of brand X cars also, but my preference was already set. By the way, we used to sell them a lot of tires also.

As I stated above, I had a new 68 Hemi rR, and in the interstate at 70mph. it might pull, 12-13 mpg. around two it was 8 or 9, and according to the info available at the time if you did what they called "jack Rabbit starts" (punching it at stop lights) it would actually drop to 2 or 3 mpg.

I lived in Newark, N.J. back then, and Seaside Heights, NJ ( the Jersey shore, or "the Beach, if you prefer) was about 85 miles away. I could not make it there and home on a full tank of gas. In fact, I could get a little less than half way back with it. About 140 miles on a full tank of gas, at interstate driving speeds.

My father's 1964 Oldsmobile 98 Luxury Sedan (20+ foot long land yacht) could make it there and back easily. I believe it had a 394 Olds engine.

About 1986, I had a '66 olds 98 with a 425.

It had a circular gas gauge with a needle sweep of the top 1/3 of the circle.
The needle would sway quite a bit on cornering.

I distinctly remember being able to actually watch that needle go down as the speedometer went up if you had the pedal down hard.

Loved that "blend selector" on those pumps!

Here is another one of the pump with the "blend" selector" on the side

6a00d834515db069e20133f2ee3abe970b-800wi

And here is a closeup of the "blend selector" itself

6a00d834515db069e201348611b977970c-800wi

I remember back in the day, we had a customer with a 68 or 69 New Yorker with the 440 TNT engine. He refused to run premium, no matter what I said. "Just fill it up with regular kid."

Yes it did. It wasn't until 1975 that cars got cats. Since ethel lead destroys catalytic converters, unleaded became mandatory. Which, as we all know screws with the valve seats in older cars.

Low-Lead and NO-Lead gases were available starting in the late 60's but was a very low selling product.

When I was a kid in the 70's I pumped gas and loved the smell of leaded gas. That explains a lot now......

-
Back