Side Marker Bezel

-

1971 CY Dodge Dart

Dart Swinger
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
71 Dart Swinger. I’m replying my side marker bezels and in the front there’s nothing to hold the bulb in the socket. The old setup I’m replacing snapped in place but not the new harness/socket. How can I keep it in place?
1A51F4B0-D06D-4C2A-9536-2964CB660D59.jpeg

The diameter looks to be too small and it looks like a tapered fit. Might have to find the correct socket size and solder it in...

Do the old ones pop out to change the bulb or do you take the lense off to change the bulb

Reason I ask is the socket might have been swedged onto the housing perminantly.

If that is the case you might be able to get a speed nut / one-way washer to hold it on. Grounding might be an issue though

Do the old ones pop out to change the bulb or do you take the lense off to change the bulb

Reason I ask is the socket might have been swedged onto the housing perminantly.

If that is the case you might be able to get a speed nut / one-way washer to hold it on. Grounding might be an issue though
The old ones had to have the lense taken out to change the bulb. The socket on the old housings were probably permanently on because it took a lot of muscle to pop them out. For now I have the socket just taped using electrical to keep them on place.

Looks like a lip on the old lamp? Have a press or access to one? Maybe expand the metal similar to the old one (bulge a bit), then find/use a grommet to secure it.

You will need a more perminant solution.

You could try to find a socket wrench socket that is just slightly smaller than the id of the hole and see if you can swedged the new light socket on to the housing.

That new socket needs to be flared/swedge in place as the originals are. Take the bulb out to do it. Here is how I did some before, We had the tool.

I cut a slot in an old deep well socket that fit the flange on the back so the wire can slide down in the slot like a o2 censor socket.

Hold the bulb socket in the marker light hole with the socket you made as a backer.

Then I use the ball of a small ball peen hammer and put it over the bulb socket. Then pressed down in a press. Going to a larger ball peen until I could press it flat . I remember on some that were corroded I had to make washers because the hole was to big.

They are swedged in place. Now my son made a tool to do it so we can have our original housings rechromed

-
Back