side stripe removal

-

dresselman

Reaction score
Anybody know how to remove the side stripes from a 74 Duster (without removing the paint underneath of course). I've heard a heat gun will work, but wondered if there is a chemical out there. Thanks.

If you have access to an air compressor. Use a stripe erraser. It will not harm the paint. Auto body techs use it on a daily basis for when blending paint onto adjacent panels. Your local paint store should be able to accommodate your item.
Mark

If you have access to an air compressor. Use a stripe erraser. It will not harm the paint. Auto body techs use it on a daily basis for when blending paint onto adjacent panels. Your local paint store should be able to accommodate your item.
Mark

Ya they work like a champ. I still remember the first time I used one. It was on a BMW no less. Sure didn't seem like a good idea to me but they really do work!!

3M makes a stripe removal chemical and an adhesive removal chemical in a spray can.

The one I have is a urethane type wheel that attaches to a drill motor.

The stripe and adhesive chemical is just paint stripper so you don't want to use that.

Chuck

3Ms 'Woodgrain and Stripe Remover' won't hurt the paint unless it's fresh. As mentioned they also have an adhesive remover specifically for stripe adhesive. I've used both in the past with good results.
Dallas
missourimopar.com

Never got the hang of those wheels. I warm the vinyl and peel it down. Newer vinyl comes off easily, older not so easy but not bad either. To remove the glue go to a local vinyl sign shop and ask for some Rapid Remover, softens the glue without hurting anything.

Dave

I'd go with the wheel, just let it do the work, you don't have to grind it in the stripe. They work like a charm.

The only thing that I've ever used is a hair dryer. Don't get the paint any hotter than it would get sitting in the sun and peel the decal off. I use Goo Gone for getting the residual glue off without hurting the paint.

Terry

-
Back