Side Trim Removal

-

weezer

Reaction score
I have a 1967 Dart 270 with the side trim / spear that travels the length of the car up almost on the body line at the top of the fenders, doors and quarters. ( Sorry, I don't have the tools nor the know-how to post pictures.) The trim is in really good shape with no dents or dings, just needs a good cleaning and polishing. I want to CAREFULLY remove it without damaging it so I can prep the body for primer. Can anyone tell me precisely how to go about it or direct me to a shop manual, etc. that can walk me thru it? Thanks in advance. If I can remove the trim without hurting it I will probabaly put it up for sale. Going for the SS/AA look, dontchaknow.

Yes it can be removed. It is secured to the body with little spring clips with a post. There usually is a speed nut that secured the post on the inside of the body. I'm not sure how accessible they all are, especially the ones around the wheelhouses. Once you free the post at either end of the strip from the body, the trim will slide. It may scratch up the body, but that shouldn't be an issue with the repaint. Any clip you can't remove from the inside, you can cut/grind out once you have the trim off.

I believe the trim is anodized aluminum. You can polish all you want but nothing significant is going to happen unless the anodizing is removed. Cleaning the trim with oven cleaner will remove the anodizing. Suggest you be very serious about this step. It takes a lot of effort to polish that much trim. Then there's the issue of either re-anodizing the trim or putting a clear coat on it to keep it from oxidizing.

Suggest just clean wax and any paint from the trim, run a buffing wheel over it and let the next guy decide how far he wants to go.

Thanks, 72 Demon, for the instructions and advice. I didn't know if the trim was stainless or aluminum or what. I just knew I didn't want to warp it up trying to take it off. I may give it a try this weekeknd.

Hey Weezer, Did you get the trim off? If so I am intrested in buying the trim pieces. PM with a price and shipping to Springdale, Ar. 72762

Hey Weezer did you get the trim off? If you did I am intrested in buying the trim. PM with the price and shipping to Springdale, Ar. 72762

BuddyC , man, I'm sorry I haven't got back to you on this until now. For one reason or another , I haven't done anything with the car in over a week. Hopefully, I'll get to play with it during the long Thanksgiving weekend. I have not gotten the trim off as yet but when I do you will be the first to know. Thanks for the offer and I'll be in touch.

-
Back