Signal light problem

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My signal lights are screwy. Here are the symtoms.

1. No hazard lights at all
2. Passenger side signal works in rear, not in front.
3. Drivers side signal does not work at all.
4. Brake lights work.
5. Park lights work front and back.
6. When trying drivers side signal lights, all lights associated with radio blink.
7. When trying drivers side signal lights, fuse eventually blows for radio and brake lights.
8. Signal light indicators in dash do not work.

I have installed new bulbs and flashers.

Help please, I am terrible with electrical.

Jack

My first thought, would be to look at the turn signal switch since most of the effected circuits go through the switch. That being said, I can’t explain the radio blinking but if it is in conjunction with the blinker than it is getting energy from the blinker circuit. Disconnect the steering column connector and check continuity of the blinker wire (input) to the RF & RR wires and then to the LF & LR (while switch is in appropriate position) and brake input to RR & LR. You should also check all wires to ground. If switch seems OK look back through the circuit (Battery disconnected) to see if lines go where they should and not to ground.

Good luck

Thanks Paul,

This is going to be fun, NOT. I can hook one wire to another, but what you are talking about is going to be a challange.

Jack

Need to get yourself a ohm/volt tester and do what Paul said. It's not that hard if you take your time and work it out. The radio blinking is interesting. I've never heard of something like turn signals affecting the radio.

Coyote Jack said:
Thanks Paul,

This is going to be fun, NOT. I can hook one wire to another, but what you are talking about is going to be a challange.

Jack

It really isn’t that bad, get an inexpensive meter from radio shack and play around with it a little. Use the Ohms scale to measure a few wires to ground (Battery disconnected). Then put it on DC Volts scale and look at Battery Voltage (Battery reconnected). Once you feel comfortable, look get your service manual out and draw the turn signal circuit out on a piece of paper and label the wires with function and color code. My best guess is that the turn signal switch is broken and shorting contacts out in a strange way. But you don’t want to take everything apart unless you can prove it. I will monitor this string regularly to see how things are progressing or PM me with specific questions.

Again Good Luck

I found my problem. There was a wire pinched between the seams of the steering column that was shorting out most everything in that harness. One splice later and I have most of the dash problem sorted out. Still no dash lights but I will track that down next.

Jack

Glad you found it Jack. :thumbup:

-
Back