Silly Timing question

-

71_Demon

Reaction score
After manually timing the engine by simply twisiting the distributor, I decided to hook up a timing light and see exactly where the timeing was at. I hooked up the gun to the #1 cylinder. It appears as if the timing is WAY off when I hook the light up. I don't even see the timing mark on the harmonic balancer. The engine runs and idles fine, twisting the distributor in either direction causes the engine to start to idle rough... Is there anything that would cause this timing light to register this far off? The harmonic balancer only goes on one way. Could it be my chepo timing light?

If I can't get the engine timed with a light, I may try the vacume method suggested in another thread.

First thing that pops into my mind is if you have vaccum advance it needs to be unplugged from the distributor and the line capped before checking with the timing light. Your carb Idle adjustments has to be correct also or the light might show the wrong readings. :thumblef:

The first question I would ask, and don't hate me for it, is are you hooked to number 1. Your problem could also be that the outer ring of the balancer has slipped on the inner hub. This can be checked by positioning no. 1 at TDC at the beginning of its power stroke and see if the timing marks align to 0 degrees. Your timing light may also have brain damage and I'd borrow someone elses light and see if they match, personally my experience is that if the light is flashings it's good but I do believe in useing the more expensive lights. :evil2:

could also bee a missmatch of damper and timingcover, dont know wich year they swaped but the earlier smallblocks have a waterpump with the inlet on the driversside and at some point they moved it to the passangerside and if you have a ealry style damper and a late style timingchain cover this is what could happen;)

I pulled the vacume advance and capped it on the carb, do I need to cap it on the distributor as well?

I have the timing light hooked up to #1 cylinder, (front drivers side). I also made sure the wire was far enough away from cylinder #3 that I wasn't getting any signal from that wire. When I installed the distributor I put #1 cylinder on TDC and aligned the timing mark with the 0 on the timing cover. At this point the rotor was pointed at cylinder 1 on the distributor. The block is a new LA 318. The timing cover and harmonic balancer are both off the original 318 I pulled out of the Demon due to a cracked block.

The only thing I can think of is the chepo $12 timing light I got at Harbor Freight.

71_Demon said:
I pulled the vacume advance and capped it on the carb, do I need to cap it on the distributor as well?

I have the timing light hooked up to #1 cylinder, (front drivers side). I also made sure the wire was far enough away from cylinder #3 that I wasn't getting any signal from that wire. When I installed the distributor I put #1 cylinder on TDC and aligned the timing mark with the 0 on the timing cover. At this point the rotor was pointed at cylinder 1 on the distributor. The block is a new LA 318. The timing cover and harmonic balancer are both off the original 318 I pulled out of the Demon due to a cracked block.

The only thing I can think of is the chepo $12 timing light I got at Harbor Freight.

You don't need to cap the distributor and when it comes to timing lights you get what you pay for.

Lets hope that the 12$ is at fault here and you can borrow a 3-400$ snap-on timing light to be sure that I use.To confirm the timing marks,can you bring the Number 1 piston to TDC and check where the mark on the dampener is in relationship to the timing mark on the cover,you could have a miss match of to parts.If they do not match,you need to make your self a positive stop to find true TDC rotating forward and making a mark,and rotating counter clockwise and making a mark,the distance halfway between the two marks is TDC.You then check to see where this is with your cover and dampener.Mrmopartech

If you have more than 12* initial advace via turning the distributor, the 0 TDC timing mark on the dampner is hidden by the water pump so you nned to bring it back to at least 10* advance to see the dampner mark. You either need a dial back timing light or mark your dampner for 34* total mechanical.
from zero on the dampner. Turn the crank clockwise (natural rotation) apprx. 3in. now measure 2 9/16" on the OD from the zero mark. scribe a line and mark some colour of highlight marker (I use black). With the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged, set your total mechanical advance to the scribed mark at somewhere around 3000rpm or whenever the distributor has full mechanical advance. You could also scribe a mark at 1 1/8" which is 15* and see if you can see that line at idle.

I stand corrected - after measurung on the dampner last night - measure 2 3/8" - not 2 9/16".

-
Back