Single Oil Cooler Big Enough?

-

T56MaxTorq

Reaction score
I have an unknown brand 6 pass trans cooler that's 12" x 7 1/2 x 3/4. I'm hoping for a 450 hp 318 turbo. I have a 2800 stall torque converter , 904 with new internals. Also have a large sump, finned oil pan. Is this setup big enough to cool this trans or should I plumb into the radiator (a down flow style that would add a quart or two) ??

If it's up in front of the radiator that should be fine.
I don't think you are going to build a ton of heat with a 2800 stall.

Doh, beat me too it.

A 2800 converter, finned deep pan?
That's about the same size cooler they put on tow vehicles.

Go with Tracy on this one, as overkill is better than under. :)

I have an unknown brand 6 pass trans cooler that's 12" x 7 1/2 x 3/4. I'm hoping for a 450 hp 318 turbo. I have a 2800 stall torque converter , 904 with new internals. Also have a large sump, finned oil pan. Is this setup big enough to cool this trans or should I plumb into the radiator (a down flow style that would add a quart or two) ??

Are You planing on running an engine oil cooler?

If it's a cheapo tube and fin style cooler, NO, as they're not very effective. If it's a Hayden cooler fin and tube type it might be. If its one of the radiator type that you can stand on, and it will be OK providing its clean.
Radiator style coolers are made by LONG manufacturing and sold under a variety of brand names including B&M. Plain and simple this is the best/most effecient cooler on the market. OEM with CHRYSLER AND F--D., although the OEM mounting is different. I would go through the rad also, as the high stall will add heat to your cooling system. Unless the pan is aluminum, the amount of heat it will disapate is minimum if any at all. More show than go.

-
Back