Single row radiator question

-

Kenflo

Reaction score
On my 73 scamp I have a 22" core opening and looking at Griffin for a custom radiator that has a single 1.5" row vs their 1.25" 2 row due to clearance issues so I can run my clutch fan. Griffin claims this custom rad is good for 600-650 HP. Anyone see any issues with the 1.5 single row to cool the engine adequately?
These are the "exact fit" type radiator they sell. They do have a 26" 1.5" single row version, I just don't want to mod the rad support if I can avoid it.

Engine is a 340/422 stroker with aluminim heads, makes 450 HP according to dyno when it was built

Will they guarantee those figures? Like with money beck if it doesn't cool?

Sales at Griffin just said those HP figures are based on previous builds they have done, I doudt there would be a gaurantee

I truly doubt that!
Nothing worse than a radiator that is inadequate.
I have used Griffin successfully but not the single row
model.
Neither have I. I've never seen or heard tell of using a single row in any performance application. I haven't seen it all by a long shot, so anything's possible, I reckon.

i wouldn't use griffin because of their shitty customer service, but that's just me.

anyway, i guess it depends on the design of the radiator. if the single core has 1.125 tubes that are spaced closer (and thus a higher number of them) and is cross flow, it may be more efficient than say a 2 core with .500 tubes that are spaced further (fewer of them) and is down flow.

i'm do not have a degree in thermodynamics nor have i played a scientist on television, so take that analysis at what you paid for it.

however, my spidey senses get to tingling. when they say rated for *** HP what do they mean? is that in a drag car? a burger cruiser? a road tripper? because all of those have vastly different cooling criteria.

if i was in the market i would be putting this on my short list: OER Aluminum Desert Cooler Radiator, 22" Wide

-
Back