single turbo

-

mopardrt

Reaction score
what has to be done to put a single turbo on my 74 318 and round about how much would it cost me? any help is greatly appreciated

I was looking at somthing like this. Basic kit but should get you real close.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0216983997&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I wouldn't start with that kit. If you want a laugh, email the seller and ask if he's actually put one on a Dodge Dart - and demand pictures to prove it if he says yes. You are better off sourcing items individually. Let's take a closer look at the kit, part by part.

The turbo is a Chinese copy of a type of turbo originally developed for getting a lot of air into a four banger - it has a small exhaust housing coupled to a larger compressor. Quality is somewhat hit or miss. But even if it was good quality, I can't picture using just one of them on a V8 - you'd get peak boost around 1,500 RPM and it would start to be a restriction by 3,000. You'll notice he is also selling the exact same turbo kit and claiming it fits a Toyota Yaris. That's a 1.6 liter four banger. There's no turbo in the world that could work well on both motors - this guy has done a horrible job sizing it for at least one application, and most likely both.

He doesn't give the dimensions of the "large" intercooler, but it looks like it's about 7" tall and maybe 2' long. Large by a Toyota Yarris standard, maybe. Not large by A-body standards.

The intercooler piping would probably hold pressure OK, but was clearly chosen at random and has some very cheap worm drive clamps instead of T-bolts.

I see no reason the oil lines won't hold oil, but I've never seen a similar kit advertised anywhere near $200 like he claims, either.

Skipping down a ways past some parts that work and some that are clearly in there to pad the price, to the fuel pressure regulator. Is it for carbureted or fuel injected engines? Normal or rising rate? The auction doesn't say, and given how wordy the seller is elsewhere, I suspect he doesn't know.

There's a kit to put a coolant sensor in the middle of a hose. Why? Is it even the same thread as the stock sensor? Does the seller know that these don't actually start to read until the thermostat opens? Why does the seller think it's more accurate than a pre-thermostat sensor?

Now, let's see what's not included with the kit. You'd have to source or fab up all of these. He claims "There are no installation instructions included. The install is simple and most customers install it themselves in a weekend," but the only way I could see somebody getting this installed in a weekend and actually running would be if they happened to have several friends helping out and had a welding torch, a mandrel bender, a lift, and a chassis dyno in the garage.

1. A correctly sized turbo - or a second one sized the same as the first. Like I said, that's a highly inappropriate turbo for a single turbo on a V8.

2. You'd have to fab up a crossover pipe, a bracket to mount the turbo, and a downpipe. Other than about a foot of downpipe and a turbo flange, nothing you need for that is included.

3. There's no carb box or hat if you are using a carburetor, nothing for an EFI conversion if that's what you prefer, and either way you're going to need to do a lot of tuning.

Back in the day in southern Calif. the ford dealers were using an A.K. Miller turbo on the 4 banger pinto 2000 cc. They would shave the head and that thing would turn 100 in the quarter. The tranny was the weak link. I'd love one on a slant.
Small Block

-
Back