Sirius radio/Electrical Dunce

-

prairiecuda

Reaction score
tried plugging my sat. radio into the lighter on my 64 cuda. it didn't work, but the lighter does. tried with ign on acc, on and running, same results. what am i missing? can i install a power point for the radio and cell phones etc and if so what is the best way?

There may be an inline fuse for the gadget. Maybe the inline fuse is located in the cig lighter plug adapter itself (part that fits into the cigarette lighter socket). Look up instructions or manual and find the fuse for the cirrus radio thing first. Did or does it work pluged in a different vehicle currently now?

I agree with Rice Nuker, check to see if the inline fuse is blown or not seated in the plug properly. A lot of times the fuse is located in the plug itself (sits just behind the tip) and all you have to do to access it is to turn the tip. If you want to install a under dash port it's very easy to do. All you'll have is 2 wires, one can go over to your fuse box to pick up the positive connection or you can splice into the wire going to your exsisting lighter (I prefer running a wire to the fuse box as I don't like splicing ionto the harness) and the other will ground to the dash metal. Anyway good like iand if you have any more electrical questions feel free to PM me, I am an Electronics Technician by trade.

Glenn

Recently I had to upgrade my six year old XM passport in my 82 LeBaron ragtop to this year’s rendition which like the first unit plugs into cigarette lighter for 12v power. Normally when not using this car, I turn the battery disconnect to deactivate its electrical system, as this car will kill a battery in three weeks of nonuse; something it has done since taking delivery in 1982.

The other day, after the car sat parked for about a week, it almost didn’t turn over when starting it for a short trip. I though this is odd, new battery less than a year old, only parked for a week, currently in everyday use so no battery disconnect needed…

After charging battery for six hours back up to full charge, I had to find the current drain causing the problem. It was the XM passport replacement. When it is turned off, the screen indicates it is powered down then goes black, however a test light between battery and ground indicated current flow with a bright light. Turns out when Passport is off, it ain’t fully off, and continues to draw power. Now I have to pull its plug from the lighter.

I suspect that Sirius uses the same technology as XM’s portable receivers.

As for power to the lighter in your car, someone could have disconnected it to power a sound system. Trace its wire back to the fuse block, as that device should be seeing power when the car is not running, and ignition key in off position. Check for tightness of your lighter socket to dash, as this is its ground connection.

Also generic lighter assemblies are available in any part store electrical aisle if your unit is not working.

Remember sirius radio is I believe 5 volts so I woldn't wire around the 12 plug adaptor, I might be wrong but check it out
Moe

There may be an inline fuse for the gadget. Maybe the inline fuse is located in the cig lighter plug adapter itself (part that fits into the cigarette lighter socket). Look up instructions or manual and find the fuse for the cirrus radio thing first. Did or does it work pluged in a different vehicle currently now?

thanks Rice Nuker. yes it works in both my trucks.

I agree with Rice Nuker, check to see if the inline fuse is blown or not seated in the plug properly. A lot of times the fuse is located in the plug itself (sits just behind the tip) and all you have to do to access it is to turn the tip. If you want to install a under dash port it's very easy to do. All you'll have is 2 wires, one can go over to your fuse box to pick up the positive connection or you can splice into the wire going to your exsisting lighter (I prefer running a wire to the fuse box as I don't like splicing ionto the harness) and the other will ground to the dash metal. Anyway good like iand if you have any more electrical questions feel free to PM me, I am an Electronics Technician by trade.

Glenn
thanks super, especially for the PM invite, i'm sure you'll be hearing from me lol. i think the port is the better long-term solution and i'll follow your advice.

Recently I had to upgrade my six year old XM passport in my 82 LeBaron ragtop to this year’s rendition which like the first unit plugs into cigarette lighter for 12v power. Normally when not using this car, I turn the battery disconnect to deactivate its electrical system, as this car will kill a battery in three weeks of nonuse; something it has done since taking delivery in 1982.

The other day, after the car sat parked for about a week, it almost didn’t turn over when starting it for a short trip. I though this is odd, new battery less than a year old, only parked for a week, currently in everyday use so no battery disconnect needed…

After charging battery for six hours back up to full charge, I had to find the current drain causing the problem. It was the XM passport replacement. When it is turned off, the screen indicates it is powered down then goes black, however a test light between battery and ground indicated current flow with a bright light. Turns out when Passport is off, it ain’t fully off, and continues to draw power. Now I have to pull its plug from the lighter.

I suspect that Sirius uses the same technology as XM’s portable receivers.

As for power to the lighter in your car, someone could have disconnected it to power a sound system. Trace its wire back to the fuse block, as that device should be seeing power when the car is not running, and ignition key in off position. Check for tightness of your lighter socket to dash, as this is its ground connection.

Also generic lighter assemblies are available in any part store electrical aisle if your unit is not working.
good to know about the power draw on the radio, thank you

Try turning the plug after plugging it in, sometimes the contacts have to be lined up just so. I think it is on my 12 volt cell phone charger that I have to have it lined up just right in the lighter socket on my Dakota to get power.

-
Back