Sitting Car - Zero Brake Psi and P/S Leak

-

GoodysGotaCuda

Mr. Goody
Reaction score
Got my Duster up n running now. The car has absolutely no brake pressure. Its a 74 Duster with Power Front Discs. Shes been sitting awhile, has brake fluid, no noticeable leaks.

Whats the first step you guys would take in troubleshooting this? Bleed the brakes? I pulled the drums before the car was running and i didnt see any signs of brake fluid.

Also, it very steadily drips power steering fluid only while it is running. Its kinda hard to trace but it looks like its coming from the backside of the steering box, any likely places I should look for the leak at around there? Other than the pump and lines, im not sure where any other fittings/seals are that would leak.

Thanks
-Mike

Sounds like the master cylinder went bad just sitting. The seals like to go
bye-bye after sitting for awhile. Eather rebuild it or get a rebuilt unit.
Good luck. Brian Kaplan aka Green Duster

briankaplan said:
Sounds like the master cylinder went bad just sitting. The seals like to go
bye-bye after sitting for awhile. Eather rebuild it or get a rebuilt unit.
Good luck. Brian Kaplan aka Green Duster

Ok, thanks for the info.

Whats the best method on getting ALL brand new brake fluid in the lines? Maybe remove the lines at the rear, pump the brakes while keeping the m/c full (to avoid Air). Then doing the same to the front?

Thanks
-Mike

Just bleed them normally. It would be faster to pressure bleed them or even vacuum bleed them. but don't disconnect the lines.

dusterdon said:
Just bleed them normally. It would be faster to pressure bleed them or even vacuum bleed them. but don't disconnect the lines.

I hate to say it but...I've built a motor, built a 904 trans, and done the rear end in my car...however i've yet to bleed brakes :silent: I'm only 18 so gimme a break :lol:

What's the best method for me to try?

Thanks!

Mike,
Your power steering box holds a shaft which the arm is attached for your steering linkage. It has a number of seals around it. Jack up your front end (safely), flash the engine for a bit turning the wheel slightly. Shut off, then look at the under side, where the arm is. It will be hard to see the shaft but if you have fluid leaking or running down the arm, it's the shaft seals.

69signetv8 said:
Mike,
Your power steering box holds a shaft which the arm is attached for your steering linkage. It has a number of seals around it. Jack up your front end (safely), flash the engine for a bit turning the wheel slightly. Shut off, then look at the under side, where the arm is. It will be hard to see the shaft but if you have fluid leaking or running down the arm, it's the shaft seals.

Ok, whats the best way to go about putting new seals in? The steering box must come out i assume, if so, whats the best way to do that..also, then does it need to be disassembled to have the seals replaced. From what i've found online they sell all the seals separately..it'd be nice to just buy the kit of seals and do 'em all at once.

Btw, im ordering a new master cylinder tonight.

Thanks!
-Mike

Mike, this link is only an example of changing out the seal, but it will give you an idea. http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/steeringbox.php

I would think "the bench" method is best however, I changed a set some time ago on a friends without removal. I had to remove the left side tie rod to get the steering link out of the way. Then, you have to remove the steering arm. (Make sure you mark it's postion with the shaft) so you not out of alingment when together. After everythings out of the way the shaft will be in full view. Up inside about .5" around the shaft is a internal sirclip. Squeeze the eyes and remove. Now the "seals" will be in sight, and very hard to get out.
I had a buddy flash the car, and "slightly" turn the wheel. The pressurized system will push them down the shaft. Have a bucket ready (it sprays). Replace the new seals one at a time (in the correct order) They will be very tight and difficult to get all the way up to where the sirclip go's back on, so use a deep socket a tip lightly. Replace sirclip.
PS..Most dealerships "should" sale just the lower shaft seals as a kit for about 20.00 or so.

Some other guys may have a differant path to doing this, but it worked for me.

sad but i wish my car had manual steering, easier to work with, one less thing to go wrong :silent: i guess after i get it all working i'll be fine :wack: good luck goody kinda funny you have done everythign except bleed brakes gotta start somewhere :salut:

-
Back