Six pack supply?

-

RH62

Reaction score
I have an electric fuel pump for my six pack and was wondering what mechanical fuel pumps you guys use or electric pumps you use. the electric pump i have is very loud and im a bit tired of hearing it.
any photos of how your fuel lines are routed?
thanks
Rich

I don't have a 6 pack, but I do run the Carter high volume/hi pressure mechanical fuel pump on my 68 dart with a built 340.

I just posted a thread titled: Carb lines - Just for fun. Read that and return here. :profilel:
The car is on jacks, in peices and coming together fairly well. I'm moving from a Holley Black pump (vane style) that came with the car to a Mallory Comp 140 (Gerator style) which I got new off Ebay for $150...which was a crazy lucky buy. The Holley pump pushes PLENTY of fuel for the street, and I had zero issues, but it is a loud puppy on a muffled car. From all I've read, by comparison the Gerator style pumps push just as much fuel and are a LOT quieter, plus they're more durable and simply a MUCH better design, especially for the street. Holley makes this style as well. I'm also going to use a bypass style regulator which also takes some load off the pump helping to make it even quieter. I'm currently moving up to 3/8" lines vs the stock 5/16", then mounting the filter and pump and all the rest of the fun... it all just takes time. Attached are a couple comparision shots of my the Holley I'm replacing and my new Mallory. The Mallory I purchased is a marine version, which is basically the same as the std, but has a more corrosion resistant finish and the motor and sealed.

As for comparing a mechanical pump to a modern electric... why go there? There is NO comparison. A fuel system using an electric pump is FAR superior to an old mechanical suck & squirt, which robs hp, has vapor lock issues...etc, ha, ha... Okay, they work just fine I suppose, as 60+ yrs of history reflects, but I guess that's the key... they're "history". Just one man's opinion. Hope this helped.

Attachments

• DSCN0156.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 233
  • DSCN0161.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 235
.....an electric pump is FAR superior to an old mechanical suck & squirt, which robs hp................

Actually so far as HP you may be incorrect.

A mechanical pump does not pump when the cam operates the pump, it pumps due to the spring. What this means is, that at those times when the pressure in the system is built up, when the carb is sipping gas (cruise) for a few seconds, the pump arm is actually just "floating" on the cam.

On the other hand, and electric is CONSTANTLY using electrical power, except for the old "pulsar" pumps. All modern vane/ gear pumps use power all the time, and are operating against head pressure.

What's making up that wattage/ amperage/ power/ horsepower/ calories/ energy? The alternator of course, which is up there ROBBING HP

While I agree, and tend to lean toward electric these days, most of the cars in my life had mechanical pumps and worked just fine.

Ha, ha, ha... I thought I'd hear from you on that! :cheers:

Your information is very interesting, however, correct me (please) if I'm wrong, BUT doesn't the alternator pull/rob the same hp regardless if it's producing amps/volts/watts....or not? ha, ha.. It just spins and makes electrical power...right?

Both mechanical & electric style pumps work fine, no argument at all. My commentary, though slightly provacative, does accuratly make valid points. Having said that, it should be noted that some electric pumps shut-down if they get too hot (mech won't), and they also have a hard time 'sucking fuel' (mech don't)... but they won't ever vapor lock (mech do) and they take zero hp to run (mech do)..so it's always a ying/yang with stuff like this. For my money, you can see what my choice is, BUT a high volume mechanical pump would also do a fine job for me, probably, but with 3 carbs, and bigger lines... the Mallory Comp 140 is my baby. :notworth:

thanks for the responses guys.
Let me know how that generator style pump works out!
Im not sure which mine is but it sounds like a little jackhammer and i can hear it clearly past the 440 with headers and flow masters.
Ill take a look at the pump tonight and see if i can determine the brand and model i have.

mine is a carter, i guess its the same style as the carter you have.

IMG_0677.jpg

-
Back