Size does matter

-

Paintguy

Dodge GTS
Reaction score
Whats the tallest bias ply tire someone has put on a stock 69 Dart and still be drive able without rubbing or looking like a 4x4. The 69 lists the factory tire either as a D70-14 or E70-14. Someone has offered me a great deal on some G70-14 Firestone Redlines (Coker bias ply) Has anyone ever tried a tire this size?

That tire should be fine on the back but I'm not sure about the front. Are you running bias ply tires now or have you in the past?

They are fairly crappy tires. I have been running E70-14s for years and they suck but look cool.

I have driven on them in the past and they do make for an eventful ride. Yes they do look cool, they have that look about them for sure. Thanks for the feedback.

I had that size on my stock 71 Swinger for years. Never rubbed.
The wheel wells will be filled, and you'll have use a smaller tire to fit it the spare tire well.
So if you have sure-grip, a flat on the back will mean changing 2 tires to keep the same circumference and not wreck the clutches.
I love them on my 66 Belvedere and the crazy screech they make hitting second gear. Plus they are so much quieter than most radials.

There is no straight answer to this. It depends on the ride height. 26" should be ok in general.

If you are willing to shim the front shackle, which is very little work to do, you can run at least a 28" tire, even with a lower stance.

In regards to the 4x4 stance, which I'm happy to see is starting to fade away, lowering blocks take car of this easily. SO you can compensate for the added ride height the taller tire causes.

All good advice, I did manage to mount a G70/14 bias ply on a rim and put it on the front. Looks very large in the wheel wheel with only about an inch away or so from the front fender edge. Now for the turn test.......

-
Back