Sizes of Thumb Wheel Radios

-

Spadman

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought a Thumb Wheel Radio recently from one of our members thinking they would all be the same size. The one I got is 9 inches wide by 2 5/8 inches tall. My dash opening in a 1970 Rally dash is only 7 inches wide and 2 inches tall. Does anyone know what the larger one fits, and what years has the same size as the 1970? When I learn a bit more I will offer the big one for sale in a new post. Likewise, a want add for the smaller one.

The parts manual says I need part no. 2884 931 am, but I don’t find this number for 1971 or 1969 radios.

Last edited:
Different face plates fit different models and can be swapped. A photo of your radio would help.

IIRC, 1970 Rally is a one year only radio with a front removable mounting face. Not sure if others will fit the dash frame.....Maybe some mods?

I guess I’ll be limited to finding a 1970 unit. The dash frame doesn’t have enough meat in it to enlarge the opening.

IMG_1363.jpeg

Here's some pictures from a '68 Barracuda. I believe they are different than Darts and use a different bezel on the front.

Instrument panel bezel is removed. The radio mounts from behind the dash. The opening in the dash only needs to be big enough for the wheels and dial to fit through.
IMG_20231228_211253132.jpg

Dimensions of dash opening:
IMG_20231228_211346822.jpg

IMG_20231228_211425703.jpg

Different radio with chrome bezel. Note holes for mounting bolts on upper left and right side.
IMG_20231228_211513890.jpg

Exterior dimensions of radio:
IMG_20231228_211628895.jpg

IMG_20231228_211614187.jpg

Thanks S’cuder! That looks just like the radio I have. Apparently only the 1970 is smaller and has rooms between the wheels and dial for the bezel. Here is a picture of a new bezel.

IMG_1364.jpeg

You're welcome. :)
The bezel pictured in your last post is the main instrument panel bezel. The instrument cluster fastens to the back of it, and then it is screwed to the dash. It just lays over the radio. The radio doesn't fasten to it. The bezel has the holes for access to the dial, pushbuttons, and thumb wheels.
My bezel isn't installed as I'm (still!) working in the dash. I posted the pictures so you can see how the radio mounts in the front. The back is supported by a brace to the dash frame. The brace is often missing from a radio, left in the dash when the radio is pulled. If yours is there, good. If not, you can look for one or make your own.
There's a thread a member posted a couple years ago in which he takes apart and rebuilds a '67 Rally dash. If I can find it, I'll post a link to it here. There are some differences, like the radio, but much of it is the same, and a lot can be learned from it.

Yes, the key looking slots in my dash frame are my mounting holes. The picture is not showing the one to the right good but shows that the left side requires a mounting bracket that points up. The hole in the frame is the one that is only 2 by 7 inches. Here is my radio. I’m going to go over to the classifieds and propose a swap.

IMG_1369.jpeg

IMG_1368.jpeg

IMG_1366.jpeg

IMG_1365.jpeg

Yes, the key looking slots in my dash frame are my mounting holes. The picture is not showing the one to the right good but shows that the left side requires a mounting bracket that points up. The hole in the frame is the one that is only 2 by 7 inches. Here is my radio. I’m going to go over to the classifieds and propose a swap.

View attachment 1716184685

View attachment 1716184686

View attachment 1716184687

View attachment 1716184688
Maybe yours is a B body radio? My 69 A body thumb wheel radio has chrome buttons.

Could well be. I know it doesn’t fit an a body, and I think the buttons changed to black for 1970 on the a body. I would guess I have a 1970 b-body radio assuming the b-body buttons also changed to black for 1970.

I found most of the thumbwheel radios would swap if you used the correct radio chrome bezel for the metal dash frame and it's bezel. There were differences in the radio support bracket stud however, so, sometimes you had to make a custom one out of plumber's tape. Black vs chrome on the buttons depended on the price line of the car.

Okay, narrowing it down. I think the size is going to be the only way to tell, plus the fact that it has Dodge on the faceplate. I think I will post on the FABO site as well.

The pushbuttons can be swapped for chrome if you want. You can find good used ones, and I believe they are or have been repopped.

The big chrome mounting bezel can be removed. There are two big, beveled bolts which appear to be missing on your radio. Also, there a few small bolts, which are there. If you like, I can send you my spare mounting bezel so you can see if it will swap with yours and fit your dash. It's the one in the fourth picture in post five. I think it will be what you need to mount the front of your radio. If you like it, and want to keep it, send me a few bucks. It is pretty badly pitted, so if you don't want to use it for other than test fitting, you can send it back and look for a nicer one. At least you'll know what you need.

If you'd like to try my spare mounting bezel/bracket, send me a PM with your address.

I finally see it! I feel like a bonehead, thinking the box had to fit the hole in the frame. I will certainly PM you and thanks so much.

With S’cuder making me see the light, tried to insert only the faceplate of the radio from the back. It almost fits. Just a bit long and tall. I’ll wait until I have a new bezel in hand before I try any cutting on the frame. The length would not be hard but the top a bit more so. I believe the thin strip there would be better cut out and replaced a bit higher since it is already flimsy. Pictures below:

IMG_1372.jpeg

IMG_1370.jpeg

-
Back