Sizing carburetor

-
What the all-knowing Bewy does not "seem to get" is that a fifty plus year old magazine road test involving three cars from different manufacturers tells us very little (IMO) about optimum carb sizing. And that 383 Super Bee ? That's the fastest stock one I've ever seen road tested in a magazine. It makes me suspect that it's been tweaked/supertuned. The 428 CJs were typically faster than 383 SBs and RRs. Then there is that Carter vs Holley dyno test from fifty years ago that you referenced multiple times. It could simply be the result of the Holley having a secondary spring that was too stiff. Easily corrected. We know you hate Holleys. If you want to prove their inferiority, maybe you should post up more evidence than the same two sources. Here's a dyno test involving multiple carbs on a 383: Moparts on the Web - Main Index
A lot of improvements have been made over 50 years. 50 year old magazine articles can have some good information but should be used as a reference modified by modern knowledge.

I’m looking for some help deciding what cfm carb. I’m building a 360 stock stroke bored .030 over, flat top pistons says would be 10:5:1 compression, ported X heads, Schneider cam 480/430 220/210 at .050, eldelbrock rpm air gap intake, Doug’s long tube headers. It will be street driven only but I’m not an easy driver. Coan torque conver 2500 stall, 904 trans with reverse manual valve body. All redone with cope racing internals, 8.75 posi rear with 3:23 gears. Online calculators say 689 cfm.
How many HP does this setup provide?

Dale,
Facts do not change because 50 [ or more ] years have passed.....Some folks might like to think so because it suits their agenda....

TQ flow rating. Steve Dulchich claims the 850 actually flows over 900 cfm. I read that in an article he wrote in one of the Mopar magazines; he said we flowed them, do not know the 'we' is. It could be David Vizard because SD worked with him for awhile.

Dale,
Facts do not change because 50 [ or more ] years have passed.....Some folks might like to think so because it suits their agenda....
Very true Bewy, just technology and we learn things over time that updates some things. I am working on my Ford 289 with Edelbrock carb. Good engines. Same applies for the 318 engines. Reliable work horse that can make respectable torque and power. In the 60's the Chrysler engines would out mile the equivalent Ford and Chubby engines.

well, for better or worse, I have a 318 thats about to get a mild cam and probably a TQ. I do have a couple of AFBs on hand too, but at the moment one of those is Plan B.
800 cfm on a 318.. Hmmm....

That will work well! There will only be airflow from the TQ secondaries......if & when the engine requires that additional airflow.

-
Back