SL6 Running Issues

-

74 DART'

Reaction score
Im having some trouble with my daily driver. 74 Dart 225 c.i. Has a Holley 1920 carb on it. Getting oil / blow-by into air cleaner. You can remove air cleaner with engine running and it will smoke from valve cover breather hose the whole time the engine is running. I don't notice any smoke from exhaust while driving and the back of the car doesn't seem to be covered with oil. Im having a misfire- rough running condition at times, mainly when engine is warm and im wondering if it could be a lean condition. I have an exhaust leak on the exhaust pipe just before the muffler and you can hear a popping misfire sound , sometimes while idling at a traffiic light or sometimes while driving down the road. You can also feel the engine misfire/ stumble, i can back off the throttle and most times it will stop misfiring. I have checked the spark plugs and most of them are very dark, not sure if its all fuel or oil on plugs. They due smell rich and so deos the exhaust when running. Sorry for the long post. If anyone has any ideas i would appreciate it. Thanks J.R.

Do a compression test, sound like blow by past the rings, or possibly an faulty pcv system.

Thanks for the replies. Do you thing the float would cause it to misfire while accelerating? The thought is the float goes bad, gets soaked with fuel and becomes heavy allowing to much fuel into carb correct? Also wanted to mention this is a relatively new problem last 3to4 months.

Thanks for the replies. Do you thing the float would cause it to misfire while accelerating? The thought is the float goes bad, gets soaked with fuel and becomes heavy allowing to much fuel into carb correct? Also wanted to mention this is a relatively new problem last 3to4 months.

if its loading up and dumping gas , then yes. you could also be running low fuel pressure which would cause basically the same symptoms. i would replace the fuel filter if you havent and the PCV valve as well, cheap insurance. but a compression test and/or a leakdown test would be the place to start with the blowby issue. you can get everything for a compression test relatively cheap from about any auto parts store

-
Back