Slamming feeling after going over speed bump?

-

mullinax95

Reaction score
Where I work at there is curbing that is what they call "Florida curbing". It is got a slope to it and isn't square in shape as regular curbing. And when I come off of it the car seems like it just bottoms out in a instance. And it also slams over speed bumps to. Is the shocks to short or something because I don't thing it is hitting the bump stops because I am going over them pretty slow. I can see that the shocks are old and need replacing but I was just wondering what you might think. I want a nice comfortable ride oppose to handling curves and such. But before I do that I need to know what this bottoming out or something is first.

It is likely bottoing out. The stock spring rates these cars came with are very very soft for the size car compared to what you get in a modern car. Factor in worn shocks and it doesn't take much.

I swapped in the .890" big block bars into my Barracuda while it still had the \6 and even those bars were not to stiff. I now have a 360 with those bars and KYB gas-a-just shocks and the car rides firm and controlled andit doesn't bottom out.

dgc333 said:
It is likely bottoing out. The stock spring rates these cars came with are very very soft for the size car compared to what you get in a modern car. Factor in worn shocks and it doesn't take much.

I swapped in the .890" big block bars into my Barracuda while it still had the \6 and even those bars were not to stiff. I now have a 360 with those bars and KYB gas-a-just shocks and the car rides firm and controlled andit doesn't bottom out.

Ok time for me to learn something. Ok if I just change out to KYB shocks will they take of the problem or should I do something else first. I don't have money to buy bigger bars right now if need be. But the slamming will shake your teeth loose. I had KYB shocks before and seemed to ride a little on the rough side.

-
Back