Slant 6 225 fuel economy

-

williaml

Reaction score
All,

I have a 1965 Dodge Dart with a rebuilt engine and transmission. New fuel pump. Gas tank, filter, car runs great but uses a lot more gas then what I think it should. Is there an adjustment that can be made, I get about 200 miles on a tank of gas. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks Bill

what carb?
timing curve? initial timing?
Vacuum adv working? diaphram broke causing a vac leak?
what are the valves adjusted at?
what is your normal rpm driven at? 45mph,55mph 65mph?
heat riser in exh manifold working at at least not closed?
running points?

Huh, I got all the way from LA to Phoenix with less than 1/4 tank in my /6 Dart Wagon when I picked it up

;-)

Attachments

• Dart on trailer at rest stop in az.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 176
I think a good running slant in the best stock conditions with an auto trans stock carb/exhaust will pull 20mpg at the most. Add a 2 barrel, better exhaust and an od trans and it helps out a lot.

I think a good running slant in the best stock conditions with an auto trans stock carb/exhaust will pull 20mpg at the most. Add a 2 barrel, better exhaust and an od trans and it helps out a lot.

25mpg at the most so far is the best on .org with stock stuff... 20 is average for a good running and tuned motor. but 200 miles is about 16 mpg

Aha, What you west coast guys forget is the hills,dips, twists and turns that they have for roads in parts of the east.I grew up in a town back there that was all hills.Our 70 Swinger at best got around 14 mpg.Like Kid and Rocker about the best I ever got with my Valiant out here was about 20 on a road trip and 15 in town. The two reasons they discontinued the slant,fuel economy and EPA smog.Couldn't clean them up enough.The overdrive stick cars got better but not by much.

My 65 with well worn (250K+) 225 consistently got 22 MPG in mixed city/highway. According to my parents, that was what it got since they bought it near new.

-
Back