Slant 6 727 adapter plate

-

Marksman

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I should post this here or in the general discussion, but anyways...

I want to find a /6 727 adapter plate. I'm getting a 225 for free on Saturday for helping a guy out a little and have already started to contemplate some ideas.

The engine needs to be rebuilt so I'm going to build a high torque engine to go (probably) in a 77 D200 that I've got. I want to build it and stick a 518 behind it to gain the OD, hence the need for the adapter. I'm hoping to gain some mileage while still being able to pull a trailer.

First, does this idea sound at all reasonable? I know a D200 isn't an A body, but i like this forum so i post my stuff on here.

Second, does anyone have one they'd like to get rid of? I read that someone was fabricating a plate to sell but I haven't found anything indicating that that project was ever completed.

I know a 360 or a BB would be better for a truck application, but i like doing things differently sometimes.

Thanks!

I have one but will probably end up using it in my 87 D100 with a slant. I too would like to add an overdrive and the adapter is the way to go.

Attachments

• adapter 010.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 385
A friend has a 65 D 100 with a slant that has the 727. That adapter is the first real one that I've ever seen. I know he wants to sell the whole truck.Pm me if you would want his contact info.

IIRC they used the slant to 727 adapter for something like 3 years: 65-67, at which time the 727 with the integral slant bellhousing was introduced.

Actually, they used it later than 1967. There were two different styles. They both had he same adapter plate, but the had different crank hub adapters. One for the early hub size and one for the late hub size. They were used up to at least 1970 in the A body vans and trucks and also in some of the light trucks as well.

Good info guys. I wish I had some wrecking yards close to me... I would probably have all the parts I need but my wallet would be consistently dry.

I'm not terribly familiar with the /6's, I just know that they're bulletproof and actually get decent mileage, even in trucks. Our 67 d100 pasture pickup with a /6 3 on the tree has had 4 re-rings, never been bored, and has about 600k on it and it still runs like a champ. It has no problem idling around in 1st with a full trailer load of square bales behind it.

Darter6, If he wants to sell the whole truck I doubt he wants to get rid of the adapter. Thanks for the lead. You have a PM.

What are some reasonable torque numbers I should expect to get out of it? I know it wont make more than 200 HP, but torque is what really matters.

If anyone else has one or knows someone who does I would love to know.

Thanks everyone.

Not really. A well prepped 318 will get the same mileage and double the power.

Good info guys. I wish I had some wrecking yards close to me... I would probably have all the parts I need but my wallet would be consistently dry.

I'm not terribly familiar with the /6's, I just know that they're bulletproof and actually get decent mileage, even in trucks. Our 67 d100 pasture pickup with a /6 3 on the tree has had 4 re-rings, never been bored, and has about 600k on it and it still runs like a champ. It has no problem idling around in 1st with a full trailer load of square bales behind it.

Darter6, If he wants to sell the whole truck I doubt he wants to get rid of the adapter. Thanks for the lead. You have a PM.

What are some reasonable torque numbers I should expect to get out of it? I know it wont make more than 200 HP, but torque is what really matters.

If anyone else has one or knows someone who does I would love to know.

Thanks everyone.

Back in the mid 1970s there were thousands of slant with 727 transmissions. It was a popular combo for taxicabs.

318's are supposed to get decent mileage, but I haven't had that expereince. In my w150, the stock 360 got 8mpg in town, the 318 I put in after the rear main seal died in it got 4.2 around town and the 273 I have in it now gets 4.7

I was looking up mpg specs for my truck and with a 360 the mpg was 9 city /11 highway, a 318 was 10/12 and a slant was 16/17. I don't remember where I saw that or where the info came from, but the slant appears to get better.

You got something WRONG with that truck, or you do not know how to figure mileage.

It isn't running terribly rich, I keep my foot out of it because it doesn't go any faster regardless and when I fill up I generally put 20 gal in and I've been 95 or so miles. I have 3.23's

It isn't leaking anywhere either. At first I thought someone must be siphoning my gas so I put a locking gas cap on. Didn't solve the problem.

-
Back