SLANT 6 a GAS GUZZLER?

-
Just checked my daughter's duster..she just tools around town..some highway..

Carb rebuild , tune up...stock everything...16.5 MPH..guess I could add more air pressure to the tires..not sure what else to do...oops, drop in a V8 so this gas millage will not bother me.... :)

Grassy

i been looking at a new cam its a "rv"cam its intended for trucks i gess it gives u a little better low end but it suposidly gives u better gas milage because it is computer-ly designed..i cant remember offhand the website but ill look it up and post it on here later

I think a more typical mileage figure (on a well-worn, non-rebuilt, at best averagely maintained slant6- in other words, almost all of them) would be in the high teens.. say 17 mpg.
my 68 /6 has 103,000 actual miles and gets 20.7mpg on short trips/intown driving..dont never go to far,so not sure what the hiway mileage would be..

my 68 /6 has 103,000 actual miles and gets 20.7mpg on short trips/intown driving..dont never go to far,so not sure what the hiway mileage would be..

And an american gallon is smaller than an imperial gallon...so you are doing even better than us..our car has 44K miles..wonder what we are doing wrong....

well im getting better mpg im town im getting like 19 and like 14 on the high way at 60 shes working her a$$ off and its all stock under her from head to rear

FWIW, in the fall of 1973 when the new models came out I purchased a new 74 AMC Hornet X hatchback with a 232 3spd manual tranny. Don't recall what the gears were but there was not an optional ratio in the car. My room mate at the same time purchased a new 74 Dart Sport with a 225 and A904. Don't really have any idea on what his car had other than his car cost a hundred or two more.

Anway we were both going from V8 cars to the sixes for economy because we were making several trips a week from the Boston area to the Hartford area.

I know if I was real careful watching my speed on the hiway I could get 30 mpg and once got 34.5 by drafting semi's as much as possible but more typically 28-29. Around town I would get 22-23 mpg. On the other hand my room mate with the Dart could only squeeze 25 mpg out on the hiway but dropped into the high teens around town. I realize it's not apples to apples with the AMC having a manual and the Dart an auto but I would say these numbers were pretty representative of what you could expect.

The other notable difference was the Hornet would easily out run the Dart in a drag race.

A few years latter I needed a pick-up and picked up a 74 D100 short bed with a \6 and A904. This was a stripo with rubber mats and no radio. I have no idea on gears but they were not extremely high (didn't scream on the hiway) or extremely low (decently peppy off the line). The truck would get 13-15 around town and I had to be real careful to get it to 20 on the hiway.

..there are oddities..my 96 2wd ram 1500 with a 318 used to get highy30s on the highway...my new ram, not so good..

Couple of things that can effect your mileage

1. Does gas leak out of the fill tube on the gas tank. Check the seal at the tank.
2. How good is the seal on your gas cap.

..I once pulled up to another 96 ram ..he had a 6..he wasn't seeing 14 mpg...he was fighting with Chrysler..in fact, Chrysler had to issue a letter stating the truck only saw 14 on the highway to Revenue Canada because they thought he was padding this expense claims..

I have no idea why mine was so good..perhaps a truck built on Wednesday ? I know the local chrysler dealership wanted to play with it..

Ian.

..there are oddities..my 96 2wd ram 1500 with a 318 used to get highy30s on the highway...my new ram, not so good..

I would guess there was something wrong with the odometer. In 96 with OBDII you could set the tire size in the computer. Likely had a setting for a much larger diamter tire than was installed on the truck.

I was running stock size tire ...just a bit heavier..6 ply I think....compared the distances with our car because we thought that as well...didn't notice any discrepancies..we played with it to see why it was good..no idea. I think it was just one of those fluke vehicles..I have heard of them in the past..however, the engine blew up at 175 which was premature in my opinion....

I thought my scamp was getting about 24 on the highway til I found out the odometer was off 10%, it actually gets about 22 which isn't bad.

speaking of oddity trucks my 2001 ram with a 360, and the old lady driving gets 26-28 mpg on the highway.... with me driving it's more like 18-20.

my 68 camaro with a cammed up 350 and 3.55 gears (no overdrive) gets 15-18 on the highway with me driving.

personally I haven't driven any six cylinder cars that got impressive gas mileage at all. they all seem to get simillar to the v8 version.

My dad's 455 Olds two barrel got mid 20s.

I think a lot of this is how you drive it..the harder you push the sound petal, the lower the milage..

-
Back