slant 6 overheating

-

sublimeswinger

SUBLIME Senior Member
Reaction score
My 225 over heats when i drive. I have changed the T stat and housing but no luck. any ideas?

It over heats even at freeway speeds

First off would be what you mean by overheating? Is it boiling over? Are you looking at a perhaps inaccurate factory gauge? Do you have an aftermarket gauge and if so what temp it it showing? Correct sender? Has it always got "hot" or has it just started? Have you made any changes recently?

From there, if it is getting too hot, I'd check the timing, carb adjustment. They play factors in heat generated. Look for the bottom hose sucking flat. Have you drained the coolant lately? Air pocket in the system perhaps? Put a new radiator cap on it of the correct poundage.

Those would be my first thoughts. Other factors, but would be negated above 30-35 mph or so would be the fan/fan clutch.

Guess while I'm free thinking, is the belt still on? Slipping? Waterpump okay?

That should give a start.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Wow Brit,.......slow down lol. Its beens like that day one. Usally i dont drive it far enough to over heat, but sometimes i do, like today. Gauge seems to work fine. Over heats to 200+, not good. I have not drain it, and it may need a new cap, never thought of that.
could be clogged? I guess i should investagate more. I was hoping for the majicial "go do this" and it was fixed. lol

if that hose gets rock hard after a few miles ya have a bad cap

Pop the rad cap while the car is running. Look into the radiator, look for water circulation. Make sure its moving, if not water pump, make sure your hoses don't feel spongy as at speeds the can "collapse" and cut off flow to the block. You can try to flush it with one of those prestone rad flush kits. you can add the "tee" kit and "power flush"with a garden hose. id do all the chaep things first, then if no go pull it and take to rad shop to flow test.If needed have them recore it and hopefully it'll be ok ,

a New radiator is about $150, for a car without A/C;
from Advance Auto Parts/Parts America.
well worth the money. Less than $200 for the bigger one.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=PCE&MfrPartNumber=433354&PartType=31&PTSet=A

smaller non a/c radiator
433354.jpg

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=PCE&MfrPartNumber=433527&PartType=31&PTSet=A

Larger radiator heavy duty cooling or A/C car.

433527.jpg

OK so I've run into the same problem over the last couple of weeks with my duster and it seems there has to be a flow problem. I have also changed my water pump,t-stat (180*), and coolant with little to no effect. I have noticed some stone looking things in the top of the rad thus leading me to think its clogged/ flow problem

seems like time to either get it recored, or just buy a new one, at those prices it might be cheaper to just go new...(in cal $200 for a recore)

-
Back