slant 6 starter

-

slant225go

Reaction score
Hello I have a slant 6 motor and well my starter was going so i replaced it with a rebuilt starter with lifetime warranty. Anyway. I installed the new starter. The old one had a fitting between the transmission and starter. So I left that in and installed the new starter. Now the car starts faster but it make a grinding sound after the starter is engaged. At first it sounds normal when the key is turned no grinding but when the starter winds down it make grinding sound. When the engine starts sounds like the starter grinds while it slowing down. I dont think stuck to the fly if the engine is running?
My friend think i should try removing that what he called the spacer because it did int come with the new starter.

Thanks Casey

i just changed out my starter this weekend i left the shim in i didnt notice any grinding at all could maybe be something weird with the starter

I think it is. Otherwise it would prob grind and have hard time starting. When engine warm i can start it just with flick of key with no grinding it wont grind at all. When i normally start sound normal then it grinds its slowing down. Do you think the grinding is in the starter it self not the gear or the fly wheel?

I would pull it back out and inspect it and the flywheel just to be sure. Not like it's a hard job on a /6! Lol Mike

^^^^^^^^ i agree just do what he said i know it didnt even take me 5 min to change mine out

Yup changed starter with the part store amazingly the starter that they said was the same was different. Teeth and spindle and length were all different.
So i dropped new starter and now it works great!

The very reason whenever possible I take the old part with me and visually inspect to make sure the new part is correct. Often I find the wrong part in the correct numbered box! Also, whenever I find someone who is not a complete idiot I try to give them my business! LOL Mike

-
Back