slant 6 street cam

-

badass283

Reaction score
I'm building a stout aluminum 225 for the street. big valves, milled and ported head, etc. any suggestion for a good street cam? The car will run a 4 speed, and I would like an aggressive idle but good streetable power.

thoughts?

The Erson reverse grind 270 is supposed to be a real good one.

Hope you're not planning on a lot of compression. The aluminum blocks cannot stand it.

i dont know why more people dont run them, slants have a problem getting charge in, so why run less "on time" where you need it :wack:
Old school hot rodding. The numbers change,never the basic principles.

Interesting, I'll check it out. I'm only milling the head .090, so the compression should be under 10.0-1 (more like 9). Will I need to cut the valve guides with this cam? what about springs? thanks

Try calling Dave Crower at Crower cams. When I had my ex wife's slant rebuilt for her 64 Dart, he made a nice custom grind cam for her car. 260° duration and .495 lift. It ran great!

Dave can design a grind for your application.

http://www.crower.com/index.php/contacts/

Interesting, I'll check it out. I'm only milling the head .090, so the compression should be under 10.0-1 (more like 9). Will I need to cut the valve guides with this cam? what about springs? thanks

more like 8.8 to one. Piston is usually way down in the hole so you have to get your piston to deck height, bore, gasket specs (felpro is .037 compressed/factory steel "shim" is .021 compressed) and chamber cc's after valves and polishing are done. As far as the guides just have them cut for .500" lift, i like the crane 354lbs springs for a BB (1.5 diameter) and use comp 744-12 retainers and proper locks to match.

Try calling Dave Crower at Crower cams. When I had my ex wife's slant rebuilt for her 64 Dart, he made a nice custom grind cam for her car. 260° duration and .495 lift. It ran great!

Dave can design a grind for your application.

http://www.crower.com/index.php/contacts/

my next cam is going to be a crower

Cool, thanks for the info. I talked to my machinist, he had to deck the block a little (010), so I'm looking at about .100 total. The aluminum block needs a special head gasket, that's only available NOS. but I have no thickness specs yet. Should have the head back this week so I can get started. If anyone has the numbers on the copper head gasket for the aluminum block, Let me know.

That's a **** ton of compression for the aluminum block. They have no deck to support the tops of the cylinders. As compression increases, the tops of the cylinders and block can distort and cause a head gasket failure. Good luck.

That's a **** ton of compression for the aluminum block. They have no deck to support the tops of the cylinders. As compression increases, the tops of the cylinders and block can distort and cause a head gasket failure. Good luck.

well the fastest aluminum rail is in the 9's I think so it can be done, just how is a mystery lol

I have a good friend here locally who is good enough to make an aluminum deck for one. I kinda wish I had one.

-
Back